• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cover for storing mini ex

afret

I'm planning on having a concrete pad poured and a cover built for parking and storing a U55. What is the normal position for placing the boom and stick when parked? What is a good size for the concrete pad and height for the cover?

Canadian_digger

IMG_0337.PNG This is the best position to storing an excavator. It leaves the least amount of chrome on the cylinders exposed

afret

That makes sense. The concrete pad will end up pretty long. :)

pondo

Never seen concrete too long or shed too big.
I chickened out when built my shop, thought 60 ft long was tons.... kick my self that I did not go 75 that I could have. Always struggling w part done project and another needs in shop right away.
Another couple yards on concrete really does not take much more labour to pour and finish well u doing big pour.

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Additionally parking machine like that will keep maximum amount of fluid in Hydraulic tank which will reduce the amount of moisture being drawn in during thermal changes. Also if you have a tank heater it will warm more of the fluid up for a cold start.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Never seen concrete too long or shed too big.
I chickened out when built my shop, thought 60 ft long was tons.... kick my self that I did not go 75 that I could have. Always struggling w part done project and another needs in shop right away.
Another couple yards on concrete really does not take much more labour to pour and finish well u doing big pour.

If you would've went 75', you'd kicked yourself for not going 100'.;)

I could fill up 100K SF and still plan an addition.

Welder Dave

Any machine built in the last 40 or so years will have hard chrome plated cylinders and rust won't be a problem. I think just setting the bucket flat on the ground with the stick about vertical is fine. Unless the hyd. tank is filled to overflowing, there's always going to be some empty space for expansion when the oil heats up. As long as you put the boom down shouldn't make a whole lot difference. Having the stick vertical won't allow the boom to creep over time.

afret

Thanks for the great replies. I already have a shop/garage but the mini ex will be too high to fit through the garage door so I'm just having a separate small pole barn built just to park the ex.

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
i would build it big enough for the ex. and a tractor or something, or you will be adding on :)

cloves

Guys is the image above the same "best" parking position for a mini excavator? Reason I ask, is when I check my hydraulic fluid its showing way too high. I just opened the cap today slightly and had fluid start oozing out.

hvy 1ton

Guys is the image above the same "best" parking position for a mini excavator? Reason I ask, is when I check my hydraulic fluid its showing way too high. I just opened the cap today slightly and had fluid start oozing out.

Generally hydraulic fluid level is checked with the bucket flat on the ground and the stick vertical. The stick out, boom down, and bucket curled back is going to put the most fluid in the tank possible. The level is probably a bit high if it's running out the tank sitting like that. Check the op manual if you have one to double check the correct position for checking hydraulic fluid level on your machine.

Canadian_digger

Some machines curled all the way in some all the way out some bucket open some closed. Only way to know for sure is to check your manual