• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cooked machines

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've bought parts off of used machines in the past with the idea of rebuilding and selling them. It works pretty well for heavy cast iron parts that didn't turn blue. Hydraulic pumps, swing and travel motors usually just need some lapping, bearings and seals and will work fine. As for the whole machine I wouldn't touch on if it got hot enough to melt the aluminum parts off the engine or burned out the cab to the point of blowing out all the glass. I don't think I'd ever touch a power shift transmission from a burned machine. Too many little parts to replace.

Welder Dave

If the steel got too hot will weaken it, especially if it was doused with water while being at a high temp.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Another reason not touch burnt machines is Viton seals unless you want to loose limbs

FarmWrench

Occupation
Table Potato farmer
On burnt machines. Knew a logger who found his log skidder had burned. Not badly enough to deflate/ ruin three tires. One tire was bad but not "wire on a rim".

He bought it back from insurance and put it back together. Even though it went out without help from a fire department the castings all moved. Seals failed and cracks developed in strange places. He wouldn't pass on a problem, telling everyone it had burned.

He advised against using anything from a burned machine.

I've read in WNYF (NY City fire department training magazine) that cast iron losses 50% strength over 1100°f and it never gets it back. Don't know how valid that information is.

@realistic_view

In another post, I was asking if I needed to replace a D5G undercarriage with all Cat components. I found a burnt D5G with what looks like an almost new off brand undercarriage under it. A undercarriage salesman guy told me he wouldn't buy it. He said the seals and plugs for the SALT tracks would be toast. Would experienced people in here agree with what he told me? I can get the undercarriage really cheap.

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
no you do not need to use Cat parts, but they do give a little better life.
1 ) are they salt tracks ?
2 ) how bad did the d5 burn ?
3 ) was it just the engine or the cab or were the tracks cooked too ?
4 ) how many hours do you run the machine ?

salt rails will run quit a while with no oil in them, if cheap enough , buy them and run them to death and then buy a new under carriage .

@realistic_view

1- They are salt tracks
2- Motor and cab. Doesn't look to me like it got on the tracks that much. All I have seen is photos. Will be there at 9am tomorrow getting the Sweeps off of it.
3- I'll attach a photo - tell me what you think. It looks like whoever owned it just put new rails on it and used the old pads.
4- I own a company that sells flooring online - WeShipFloors.com I just grade my own properties, so not much.
I'm probably going to buy them. The segments look brand new to me. It got hot behind the tracks for sure.

tracks.JPG Bushings 1.jpg

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If you buy and run them just keep an eye on them, maybe shoot each pin with an infrared thermometer after running it for awhile. Any warm or hot ones may have lost the oil. If you want to be darn sure take them to Cat and have them re-sealed. Then you know.

Welder Dave

I think they'd be OK. It would have to be a pretty big and hot fire to got enough heat to take the seals out on the undercarriage. It looks like there's still wood or grass stuck in the rails. There's still paint right above where it did got hot. The undercarriage does look almost new except for a bolt missing from the sprocket segment.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Even the final drive looks as if it may have survived. There may be a bob or two in that.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I'd be signing the check and smiling all the way home!! Only thing new I would buy, split link bolts to reattach them.

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
did you get the rollers also? if your chains are as bad as you say the rollers are probably tired too

@realistic_view

I'm going to sell the screens I bought. That burned D5G was an enclosed cab model. It's not as easy to install them on an open cab as I thought it would be. I have both sides and the rear - plus all hardware. New from CAT they are over 3k.