• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Compact overheats until the hood is opened...

lantraxco

I still don't see how a mis-aligned hood could hurt it, seeing how the solution (at the present time)
is to "throw wide open the doors".

Yes, I understand in proper operation, it's a baffled wind tunnel. Precisely designed to channel
air to the proper places.

Might the exhaust be leaking ? Manifold gasket, manifold crack, or just upstream of muffler ?
That would dump some heat in the area, that removing the cover is somehow fixing..

If the hood is not sealing properly around the perimeter, the air flow could be escaping around the edges instead of pushing the heat out the back of the enclosure... it's a reach, but when you have overheating without obvious cause on a near new machine, you gotta consider all the possibilities....

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Exhaust, from what I'm told is all in perfect order...
The machine was working again today... Same fault. Good temp profile over rad 180 top 160 bottom, and hydraulics at 180.

Delmer

4. I have confirmed it is a genuine overhead rather than a sensor issue by measuring the temp of the thermostat body when the alarm goes off...saw approx 235deg

The top of the radiator should be a lot more than 180 WHEN the thermostat is this hot. The 180 sounds like the thermostat wasn't fully opened yet???

Edit: give us the numbers on the radiator when the alarm is going off, and the air in front of and behind the radiator, like a sheet metal surface in the airflow on each side. The fan blade doesn't work, that will be much hotter.

Last edited:

lantraxco

I'm a bit confused too, if the thermostat is running 235, why is the hot water to the radiator only 180? Too little flow to the radiator? Wondering if the impeller fell off the water pump? I've seen it happen.....

Last edited:

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Mr lantraxco, surely if the impeller had fallen off it would not cool with the hood open?
And sorr ygentlemen for some vague facts on the machine... I'm sharing via emails and calls from a relation in California.
Mr delmer, request sent for high temp figures.

partsandservice

Hard to tell for sure from the pictures, but the fan appears to be to far in the shroud. I have experienced this in different applications. The fan blades need to split the shroud to transfer the air as efficiently as possible . A fan to far in the shroud will just keep a lot of the same air going round and round and round. I would take that additional stoop off an try like that to see if it improves. Also make sure engine is running at recommended rpm . I have found just a few many rpm to cause a heating issue, again on different applications .

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Mr lantraxco, surely if the impeller had fallen off it would not cool with the hood open?
And sorr ygentlemen for some vague facts on the machine... I'm sharing via emails and calls from a relation in California.
Shows how easy it is to jump to conclusions and why it's necessary to get ALL the relevant info. I was assuming the machine was located in a much cooler climate in Canada based on your indicated location .......

sstocker31

Seems to me that since it is an unmodified machine with only 540 hrs, the least costly attempt for a fix would be to replace the fanbelt to ensure the fan is turning at rated speed, and split the radiators to ensure no blockage.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Sstocker31:
Radiators are side by side but back to back, they have good flow. Also, the fan belt is in good order with no slip.
Not spoken to my relation for a week or so... He is in China on business.
He has been in touch with Wacker regarding this so they are now aware of a young machine with a seemingly simple, or not, fault.
I'll update with information when I can.

JPV

One of our 966c's with a 3306 ran for quit a while with the impeller broke off the shaft before we figured it out, symptoms were no heat out of cab heater and heating up when stalling torque converter, other than that it just ran a little warmer than normal, Temps across radiator were about what you mentioned but engine hotter, I wouldn't rule it out. It was just using the old thermosyphon!

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
So a long while later, a bit of cash and a lot of emails...
New rad,water pump, stat, flushed system, fan, (fitted and re fitted backwards to check) more emails,testing and temp probing... determined that the hydraulics were possibly overlooked. Pressure and load testing a confirmed one side of the pump was overloaded. (Surprisingly to me) Sufficiently enough to overload the motor to overheating point. Reset pressures to factory standard seems to have cured all issues.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
That one took a long time to sort out. Any idea if the relief on one side of the pump was set to high from the factory or after the fact? Or did the factory just have it lowered because of insufficient cooling capacity from the start? I would be curious of the before and after relief pressures.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Not sure and not sure... it's odd that it's a rental unit with low hours and seemingly little use... initial observations made us think that the pump has not been adjusted or changed as it still had paint markings, possibly factory and the overall painting had not had nuts removed.
It's possible it was bad from new, or that it had been played with. We shall likely never know.

typ4

Occupation
Equipment mechanic for a small company.
Just saw this, we have a JD50 that has been heating for a while. Turns out that Isuzu, or deere speced it, a 2 piece pully with a rubber ring, like a damper on most engines. It was slipping and finally got so bad the fan would slow down when rpms were called up. The new pulley is solid steel. No more heating.

12v92

Occupation
well driller
water pump operation can be checked with a pressure gauge in the system close to the output of the pump. from the pics the fan is correct. if you grab the fan blade and try to turn it, does the belt slip easily? tighten and/or replace the fan belt... thats my bet