• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Commercial Insurance

erthmover

I am about to get my new 2006 F-350 that I ordered and want to register it with commercial plates and comercial insurance.The only problem I have is that I will have to use this truck as my personal vehicle to. How would this work?

John Banks

Any particular reason for the commercial registration? Here in CT the ins is more money than personal registration and the commercial policies are different, eg no rental provision in case of accidents ( I now know first hand) and your registration may be more too. Here in CT there are certain roads where no commercial vehicles are permitted. Just curious...

Nice rig btw, good luck with it.

erthmover

Thanks. The reason I need commercial insursance is because I need to tow a dump trailer and skid steer around. Personal Insurance wont cover it if Im using it for work.

salesrep

Occupation
Sales Rep
But comm ins will cover you for personal use.
When you go thru the info with the ins. agent make sure that you limit the percent of comm use for lower premiums.

Jeff D.

When I bought my 8000 Ford dump truck a couple years ago I was only going to use it to haul dirt for myself.I needed to have 600 yrds for my driveway,and I thought I'd insure it for personal use,rather than commercial use,thinking I'd save money.I had trouble finding "personal" insurance for a dump truck,but was able to get it through Progressive,to the tune of $468.00/6 months.(34,000lbs GVWR)

Later I decided I might as well make some money with it,rather than let it sit there doing nothing,so I changed my policy to commercial use,with a provision to allow for plowing snow with it commercially.The premium went to $956/yr.(or $478.00/6 months)???????That was also with Progressive.I can't understand why it had only went up $20.00/yr,so I double checked with them to make sure I was properly insured.They told me I'm covered for everthing,except if I plow public roads/streets.

I do have a radius limit of 50 miles,although I can't go over that hauling dirt/sand/gravel "for hire" without my own authority anyway,so that's not a problem.

As for plates,atleast here in Minnesota,all vehicles from 1 ton pick-ups and up have the same plates,whether commercial or not.The plates price depends on the vehicles GVWR,and a sticker is affixed to the plate with the weight class.(R.V's,school buses & farm have their own plates) If you use the vehicle commercially,you cannot leave the state,and must apply for a DOT#.If not used commercially,you can cross state lines.Commercial vehicles that cross state lines must have a different "apportioned" plate.This allows the other states to collect for their portion of the plate fees,and to collect taxes on the fuel used while driving in their state,regardless of where you purchased it.

Minnesota commercial vehicles must also have an annual inspection,with a sticker affixed to your windshield.When I asked two different officers whether I needed this inspection on a dump truck not used commercially,one said yes,the other one said no.I spent hours at the scale having them explain what I needed to do before I drove the dump truck on the road.I was also informed that ANY trailer I pulled behind a commercial vehicle,became a commercial trailer,which meant it needed the annual inspection,and it's own insurance(the tow vehicles insurance will not cover it,like a private vehicles insurance would)The liability insurance for my 25k backhoe trailer was an additional $321/yr.

I would definately drive down to a weigh scale in your state(in your personal vehicle,so they don't have an excuse to keep you there)and tell them exactly what your going to be doing with your trucks/trailers.They can whip out their handy dandy book-o-rules,and find out what you'll need to be legal.You might be there a while though,as I don't think they always know off the top of their heads what the laws are either,as they're so confusing.

Lastly,if you've a commercial vehicle,and need a CDL to operate it,then you are also bound by the drug testing enforcement policies while operating it.You get tested "on the spot" if you've an accident that cause injury to a person,or over a certain $ amount,so there goes any chance to "spark up a fatty" or indulge in any "smokey treats" ever again!!!You also have a lower limit for DWI no matter what vehicle you drive,even your own car. :cussing
I finally ended up getting "clean and sober"for good because of that last part(well that,and I was slowly chasing everything good in my life off,but I'd rather blame the Feds.)
They're not going to be happy till they suck all the fun out of everything.....The Feds,I mean!! :rolleyes:

s1100

Thanks Jeff D
You just answered about a dozen questions with that one post. I have a single axle dump (89' GMC 7000) and will be plowing also. Could you just clarify something for me.

No matter what I need a DOT# with this truck and a DOT # will not let me over the state line legaly? How do I get an Apportioned Tag.

Electra_Glide

Jeff D. said:
When I bought my 8000 Ford dump truck a couple years ago I was only going to use it to haul dirt for myself.I needed to have 600 yrds for my driveway,and I thought I'd insure it for personal use,rather than commercial use,thinking I'd save money.I had trouble finding "personal" insurance for a dump truck,but was able to get it through Progressive,to the tune of $468.00/6 months.(34,000lbs GVWR)
A friend of mine had a very similar experience when he tried to find insurance for his Chevy C60 dump (21000 GVWR). Got the run-around from his agent when he tried to get "personal" insurance for it (don't remember the carrier). They finally gave it to him, but after a few months, he got a letter from the corporate office that said they were cancelling his policy, and he would have to get a commercial policy (at almost twice the annual premium). The truck currently sits in his driveway while he tries to convince me to buy it.

Like most things in life...you gotta' pay to play... :drinkup

Joe

Jeff D.

S1100,I don't know what office you'de have to go to in your state,but you could find out from the DMV in your area,and they can point you in the right direction.To get the apportioned plate you'll need to let them know every state you'll be operating in.They will give you a plate with your state on it,and it will also say "apportioned" across it.That would allow you to operate that vehicle in those states that you registered it in.They take the fees collected and divide them up between the states you list.You will also have to file quartely fuel tax statements,and keep tract of your miles driven in each state.

I don't know if you'll have to apply for operating authority or not,if your only plowing snow in other states.If your hauling anything in your box for the purpose of business I'm sure you would need it then.(if crossing state lines)Here,you can haul "certain" commodities without authority "if" you stay within a certain radius of your business.(and in your state).Those rules may also vary with state.

Before you apply for the plate I would get your DOT#.You can get that online from the Ferderal Motor Carrier Administation.Their website is www.safersys.org You may also be able to find out the authority question there also.The DOT #'s are free.(one of the few things in life anymore) ;)

Electra-Glide,I've had good luck with Progressive Commercial Insurance.They can insure it either way,although the price is nearly the same.(private/commercial) If your friend has that problem again I'd mention that too him.It was the only place I was able to find what I needed.