• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Comments on Takeuchi and ASV/Terex Track loaders

laketreefarm

Occupation
Owner
I'm shopping for a new compact track loader and been considering the Takeuchi 250 vs a Terex/ASV Pt-100. Any comments about either? Track problems? maintenance etc... How do they handle on slopes? Dealer responses to problems? Other machines I should look at and why? Thanks ren

buckfever

don't know about the asv's but the takeuchi's are animals. they are vary stable and from what i have heard here the asv undercarig is a nightmare. the tak are also well laided out. But if you want the best got to go John Deere:notworthy:D

bpogue

I've got to admit, I've never run an ASV before. But I do own a TL150 and have run a bunch of others. They are great machines. They dig good and and are very stable. Also, it just seems that very little goes bad on them. I' ve had to do almost nothing to any of mine Takeuchi equipment. My dealers are great and have good parts availability. You won't go wrong with one.

Digdeep

What do you want to do with the machine?

I wouldn't be too put off by all the mud slinging. Everybody has their favorite flavor on here.

I sold Bobcat's for over 8 years and ultimately bought an ASV RC50 based on what I saw in the field, what both Bobcat and ASV customers told me and what I already knew about Bobcat CTLs. I have no regrets at all and the ASV has surpassed all of my expectations.

xcmark

Occupation
construction
ASV underacrage is great to operator on slopes or loose soil, but VERY expensive to rebuild! The tracks will last anywhere from 400 hours doing demo work to 1600 working in soft sand. this is true of any machine but the Tak is built to last and push like a D3 dozer and are much cheaper to rebuild the botom . For my money it would own a Tak, Isuzu motors last 10000 hrs with basic maint.

A1mudpuppy

Your thinking in the right direction about service after the sale. ASV was purchase by Terex so they may not have the support you'll need.
Takeuchi has had a sprocket design which will only last about have the time of the bushing squirrel cage design but cost half the price of the bushings and MUCH easier to install than the bushings on the PT100 But if your operating the unit than the PT100 does have a better ride.

I would also look at the Cat 297C (bushings) or the 299C (Sprocket)both are great machines. Since your looking for a new unit, you can build a warranty that will fit your needs. I've just seen a MTL that had 14,000 hrs on it. We double check the meter by hooking up the computer. Yes the Cat cost more but you really do get what you pay for!Don't know what kind of work your doing on the slope but any MTL Machine will toss a track if your going horizontal on the slope. It's just not the way to run any track unit.

Hope this helps

Digdeep

Your thinking in the right direction about service after the sale. ASV was purchase by Terex so they may not have the support you'll need.

The dealer I had before Terex bought ASV is still my dealer, and they offer the same level of service they did before. :beatsme

laketreefarm

Occupation
Owner
GIE Expo demos

I was at the GIE landscape Expo today in Louisville KY (runs through Sat the 30th) but the last day of outdoor demos is tomorrow)and had a good look at Deere, CAt, JCB CTL's,BobCat and Kubota . Liked what I saw of the Cat, Deere and JCB 1110T. Anybody got any experience with the JCB 190 or 1110 CTL's?
I'm going to schedule a demo but I'd like to hear from other operators.

xcmark

Occupation
construction
I was at the GIE landscape Expo today in Louisville KY (runs through Sat the 30th) but the last day of outdoor demos is tomorrow)and had a good look at Deere, CAt, JCB CTL's,BobCat and Kubota . Liked what I saw of the Cat, Deere and JCB 1110T. Anybody got any experience with the JCB 190 or 1110 CTL's?
I'm going to schedule a demo but I'd like to hear from other operators.

I own a 2003 T1110 JCB, it has 1900 hours on it now. The only two issues I have with JCB is parts are WAY over priced and I just had to replace all the steel lines the exit the bulkhead and change over to rubber lines to feed the drive motors. The lines where not in bad shape but the fitting on the end of the steel lines where roughted out to the point I had a pin hole leak in the hex fitting on the end. My local dealer wanted $3700 in parts and 12 hours labor to replace every line with OEM parts. There is 4 steel lines to each drive motor and each has a rubber piece that is seporat and roughly 14" long. the steel lines are 30" long roughtly and the highest price line was $659.00 with a 15% discount! If your not going to keep the machine for a life time I would say they are great and can really dig, they have huge power 92hp turbo 4 banger that has near the top of the pile for HP and tq even at part power. My older machine doesnt have all the fancy computer BS like the deere and Cat do so it is really just a basic machine that way. the side door on the newer ones is a better idea, mine opens on the high side of the track the new ones open on the low side. the 18" tracks that are on the JCB are really good but it will run you a fair amount to rebuild it. tracks are $4500 and it most likely will need a few hard parts like a idler or sprocket around 1000~1600 hour . Like any machine its all in how you run it an if your keeping the track area clean . It is heavy, 10,300 with a glass heated cab roughly. DId you get a chance to look at the Kubota CTL? my local dealer has a 75 hp un it and they also market a 95 hp unit . The 75 hp unit i looked at was very well designed and very well thought out for maint work.

laketreefarm

Occupation
Owner
Reply to XCMark re: JCB and pre electronic machines

Wonder if the new JCB's have the same motor piping problem you had? $4500 for a pair of tracks seems high! I just put new tracks on my Hanix excavator after 4000 hrs. and they were about $3000 for the pair. Anybody know if the parts costs for the JCB's are comparable to Deere or Cat? I know ASV are high. I like the idea of non-electronic machines and wonder who still makes them? I've had more problems with electronics on newer machines than anything else. Seems like the more chips they use the higher our maintenance costs are? Most of my current fleet of diggers are non-electronic and I'd like to keep it that way. Even if I buy older and rebuild the wear parts. My 40 year old Waldon loader and my 21 year old Menzi Muck are built right, trouble free and easy to fix. Wish I could say the same about my new Terex loaders.

xcmark

Occupation
construction
Wonder if the new JCB's have the same motor piping problem you had? $4500 for a pair of tracks seems high! I just put new tracks on my Hanix excavator after 4000 hrs. and they were about $3000 for the pair. Anybody know if the parts costs for the JCB's are comparable to Deere or Cat? I know ASV are high. I like the idea of non-electronic machines and wonder who still makes them? I've had more problems with electronics on newer machines than anything else. Seems like the more chips they use the higher our maintenance costs are? Most of my current fleet of diggers are non-electronic and I'd like to keep it that way. Even if I buy older and rebuild the wear parts. My 40 year old Waldon loader and my 21 year old Menzi Muck are built right, trouble free and easy to fix. Wish I could say the same about my new Terex loaders.

$4500 is about normal for a track as big as these machines run . Its about the same size track as a 287 or larger cat machine uses and about the same price range. My feeling is if it was a new machine and getting under it and coating the line with under coating or paint would have made them last more then the 7 years that mine lasted. Keep in min my machine sits a good amount of the time and I am the 3rd owner , Its possible some one used it to load salt? or plow a parking lot that was salted heavy??? I do know the original owner was a landscaper.

bonanno23

Occupation
union drainage foreman, also own a full time lands
I run both tak and cat machines. I have a few tl150s, a few 287Cs and a few 289C models.

287 least damage to ground when operating. least amount of pushing power.

289 does a decent amount of damage to ground but with the suspension its not as bad as you'd think. pretty good pushing and digging power.

tl150 does alot of damge to the ground but will push and dig like no other skid-steer. very rough ride, but huge cab and never any problems.

the cats are very small inside. extremely uncomfortable if you're a bigger guy, which i'm not but I can imagine it would suck to be in a cat.

I've demoed most brands mentioned above. The tak and cat get my vote. Cat is our machine of choice for loaders, excavaters, hoes etc.

If you don't own anything machines other than a skid-steer, i highly recommend you get a tak because it will allow you to do bigger jobs that arent meant for small machines. you'll never say "I should've gotten a bigger machine"

I dug a foundation using the tak and a 287 a few weeks ago. you can do alot with these little machines

emover_1

Any machine with rubber coated rollers will be a nightmare for upkeep when working on slopes! The rubber chunks off so you will likely need rollers when you do the tracks. Rubber track machines with steel rollers usually only need the rubber track itself replaced. Machines with suspension let the operators drive the tracks off off at a high rate of speed and in comfort!

cartzblown94z

Prices went up on parts after terex bought asv too. I got rid of my rc30 and upgraded to a mustang mtl16 ( tak tl130) and love it. It's an absolute beast. So glad I got it