• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clark Michigan 175C Loader Only moving in reverse

Sailorsmuse

I am trying to get this thing operating after sitting for several years. I don't have any history/info on the machine. Engine is running and moving in reverse but I have no forward. I have read that there is a declutch valve on top of the torque converter that only affects forward and it appears to have been replaced recently. Also I dont seem to be building any air pressure obviously due to a leak I have yet to find. If anyone had advise or a link to a service manual it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20161031_135606.jpg
    20161031_135606.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 105

2005kes2005

On top of the tranny is a small line to the declutch- 9/16 probably
Disconnect and cap- this forces the declutch on when brake pressure is low- check your
hydraulic brake pressure against factory (1500 psi I think is min)
Good luck
I had the same problem on an L320

Sailorsmuse

So after this thing took a backseat for awhile, I'm back to trying to figure this this thing out. How does capping the line help? I'm currently building no air pressure. I though the air pressure was what caused it to declutch. How does lack of pressure cause it to activate?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
So after this thing took a backseat for awhile, I'm back to trying to figure this this thing out. How does capping the line help? I'm currently building no air pressure. I though the air pressure was what caused it to declutch. How does lack of pressure cause it to activate?
It's been way too many years since I worked on a Michigan but would tend to think you are right, the air pressure coming from the left brake valve "de-activates" the clutch so if there is no air pressure it SHOULD move.

The only thing I can think of in relation to this de-clutch valve might be if it was stuck in the de-clutch position due to dirt or rust. As I recall this air valve is a small air cylinder on the top of the transmission that has a pin that pushes against on of the spools in the valve body. Might pay to clean things off good and unscrew it to see if it and the spool in the valve body are both moving free and that there are no broken springs.

If you can get a clear picture of the top of transmission might be able to point to the valve for you.

Also if you can find a tag on the transmission it might help with a model number to do some searching online, like I said many years since I was around those Michigans.

Last edited:

Sailorsmuse

I will try and get some pics and specs today or tomorrow. In the meantime something else that I'm confused by is that from my understanding, air pressure is needed to deactivate the brake system on startup like any air brake system. The compressor is working and there is obviously a big leak somewhere that I haven't been able to find yet. However, I do not currently have brakes, with no air pressure, and can still move in reverse. I have lifted the from wheels off the ground with the bucket and the front wheels move freely. Why no brakes with no air pressure? Shouldn't the brakes be activated with no air pressure?

kshansen

Occupation
I'm trying to find a good picture of the brakes on a 175C, but believe this machine has air over hydraulic disc brakes on the wheels. Not sure what it has for a parking brake, could be a drum or disk type brake on the drive shafts that would be spring applied and air released.

If that is the case two ideas come to mind. First is that the parking brake is worn out or out of adjustment. Second is that someone had disabled it to allow machine to move with the problem of no air pressure.

Did find an online parts book but it is not the most user friendly one I have seen. It does seem to conferm the dis brakes with air over hydraulic and the drive line mounted disk type parking brake. Which after scrolling down many pages it seems to be that the 175C has a hand operated lever in the cab that works this disk type parking brake.

http://files.minnpar.com/partbooks/WHEEL LOADER MANUALS/MICHIGAN VME WHEEL LOADER MANUALS/175C #3259.PDF

Last edited:

Sailorsmuse

It has a typical push pull air valve for a parking brake. I'm not that familiar with the system as I have not looked at it much other than to inspect the declutch valve and the air line running to.

kshansen

Occupation
It has a typical push pull air valve for a parking brake. I'm not that familiar with the system as I have not looked at it much other than to inspect the declutch valve and the air line running to.
Then yours is a bit different than the one in the parts book I was looking at. Look at the driveshaft in the area from the transmission to the front axle, that would be the most likely place for a drive shaft parking brake.

Ryan151

It can be one of two things... declutch valve which you can remove and get the plug for it from Palmer Johnson power systems for oem Dana Spicer parts which used to be Clark. Or bpt components in Canada. They have after market stuff. But easy to tell If it's the dexlutch with a simple pressure test. You should have the same pressure in all gear forward and reverse it is possible that your forward gear clutch pack is smoked

Ryan151

Which if it is toast don't panic because it's very cheap and easy to rebuild those. Everything about these Clark transmissions is beautifully simple and easy

kshansen

Occupation
Which if it is toast don't panic because it's very cheap and easy to rebuild those. Everything about these Clark transmissions is beautifully simple and easy
I never had to do one of those small Michigan transmissions but I did have some fun working on one in a 475IIIA many years ago down in Virginia. Really not a bad job on the 475, once I got the hydraulic hoses out of the way. One man job to strip 90% of the transmission(only left some things in the case because they were in good condition) without even taking it out of frame. I would like to see someone do that on a 988H Cat!

Edilgru

On top of the tranny is a small line to the declutch- 9/16 probably
Disconnect and cap- this forces the declutch on when brake pressure is low- check your
hydraulic brake pressure against factory (1500 psi I think is min)
Good luck
I had the same problem on an L320
Hello,
if you need parts for old MICHIGAN Loader, or Part Manual,

http://deltaimport.autoline.info

Best Regards