• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clark-Hurth transmission

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
The 3 speed and forward-neutral-reverse transmission in the Terex Square Shooter 8042 telehandler has the following information on the id plate:
Dana Spicer Clark-Hurth
Model 12.2HR18312-3
SN ZBEA052620
10/99

Aiming to get a service and repair manual and parts book for this. I have to replace the seal as it is weeping and contaminating the driveline park brake disc..

Should I try a Spicer parts dealer?

Any comments on a Model 18000 manual ... is this correct?

Thanks in advance

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Made a couple calls to parts dealers and received the information. Now to print and place in a notebook. Thanks.

Knepptune

I just did some work on a newer model.

Great Lakes power is who I dealt with.

Do yourself a favor and replace the clutch discs on third gear while your in there.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Is this normally how these seals look when they are pulled out with the slide hammer? Used the hook tool and it deformed the flange but not pulled the seal..... drilled hole and the hook engaged better but just slit the flange and didn't pull out the seal. Finally used the lever type seal puller (kind of like a claw hammer in a vague comparison) & with a deadblow love tap with a single jack and ta da, the seal was out.
P6250456.JPG

P6250459.JPG

P6250460.JPG

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Q1 Was wondering about the use of Hub Lube..... was thinking of soaking the seal in the Hub Lube for a few mins prior to installation. The Hub Lube sold by Lucas is for steer axles and trailer axles and not recommended for other applications, although I have seen it used on the pre-filling of the wheel hub on a (dual rear wheel) full floating axle prior to installation on the truck. In that application it likely would mix up w the gear lube over time but the thinking is (1) no clutches in the differential and (2) not that much of the total volume is the Hub Lube.
But on a power shift transmission with all those clutches, tend to get more nervous about this sort of stuff; on the other hand the trans uses 5 gallons of THF (Amoco or Chevron 1000 or Mobil 494) thus the amount being applied to lube the seal for assembly would be way less than 1%.

Q2 The trans calls for Amoco 1000 per Terex (square shooter) and the Spicer Clark Hurth assembly & operation manual indicates quite a bit of choices for the lubricant including motor oil. Based upon a cross reference chart the local oil distributor sold me some Mobil 494 which has the distinct aroma of gear lube although the instructions indicate it is ok for a power shift transmission. That smell made us nervous and was thinking maybe use the Chevron 1000 THF. Amoco 1000 is not available, any comments on the Chevron or the Mobil (with the sweet smell of the gear lube)?

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Got the machine back together.

Summary:
Noticed a few tool vendors have variants on the seal removal tool which will be nice additions to my slide hammer(s).
During installation of the seal, did add grease to the back of the seal where the spring is located: the purpose being to preclude installation vibrations from knocking the spring loose.
And yes to the above: lubed the seal surface with a little HubSeal.
Mobil oil (with the subtle but noticeable GL odor) was utilized although I believe the Mobil number is 424 in lieu of 494.

Found the hand operated brake cable quite stiff and lube attempts effected it not - had to wait a couple weeks for that part. It had been improved and has the plastic coating on the cable.

Also noticed the two ujoints off the transmission were without grease zerks and inspection of the inside showed they were indeed cross drilled but no zerk and also noticed was the end of the grease; thought about hand packing: seemed unwise. I installed new ones with zerk fittings.
P7260565.JPG

Total parts for this experience around nine hun.