• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clam-bunk for skidding longwood

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
As Haulback says they were used here for years but I haven't seen one for a lot of years. The early ones that I worked on were Timberjack and it didn't take too many years of that kind of use for the cracks to start showing up all over them. In the right terrain with the right size of wood they were monsters for dragging trees to the landings. I think the advent of shovel logging meant the decline of this type of skidder in the Northwestern United States.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
The standard grapple skidder with the big grapple replaced them.
Used to be a bunch of clambunks in Northern Minnesota also. Skidders are so big now and so much faster, so they have totally replaced the clambunks. Can't push yourself out of a soft spot with a clambunk, easy to do with a dual arch skidder.