• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

chainsaw thread

STEVEGODSEYJR

Come on guys lets start a new thread with any pictures of the saws that were used to fall these monster trees!:usa Steve

fyrwood guy

Occupation
husqvarna chain saw dealer
ok, here i am in my younger years trying out a factory proto-type 3120 husqvarna.

Attachments

• proto type 3120 trial 002 Large Web view.jpg
    proto type 3120 trial 002 Large Web view.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 5,806
  • 3120 TEST 005 Large Web view.jpg
    3120 TEST 005 Large Web view.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 7,303
Last edited:

BDFT

I've never been to NH but I bet there aren't too many trees like that there. That looks like west coast wood.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Was at an antique engine show a few months back and an exhibitor had a car trailer, log down the middle with just about every odd kind of saw you might ever have seen.

I'd love to be back in time and help those guys felling the monsters with hand axes.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
I should snaggle a picture, my pop has at least one 'Wright reciprocating saw' sort of a giant antique sawzall with a blade that eats my jeans anytime I brush past it.

SE-Ia Cowman

Not a real good picture of the saw but I was the one running it and I cant take pictures while sawing. This was a cotton wood the hoe bucket in the picture is a 48'' and my saw bar is a 36'' and I had to cut from both sides to get through it.

Attachments

• big log.jpg
    big log.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 3,635

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
I'd love to be back in time and help those guys felling the monsters with hand axes.

It probably took several weeks to get one tree down, limed and ready to skid. Cutting off springboards and such. My great grandfathers helped cut some of the virgin hemlock and white pine off the slopes in potter co, pa, and from the stories past down I think im glad that Stihl decided to make an 880.

Cut a couple 2' ers and get in touch, if your serious I think I could find you a 4' white pine or hemlock to chop on.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I saw these at a logging museum down on the Columbia river way east of Vancouver, WA.

Attachments

• Chain saw.jpg
    Chain saw.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 3,503

BDFT

The oldtimers used a crosscut saw to make one cut of the undercut and then chopped it out, then they used the crosscut for the back cut. After they got it on the ground they still had to buck it up into pieces they could yard. All with a crosscut and an axe.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Growing up on the farm we cut all of our wood with a buck saw and an axe.We burned firewood so that was a lot of cutting.We never had a chainsaw or any other kind of engine either.Ron G

sandnsnow

Occupation
adult babysitter
Around my property, you can still see the hugh stumps that have the notches cut in them from the spring boards. Some are almost rotted to nothing but still pretty neat. Some are 60" or better at the base.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
I didnt get the chance to cut these monsters, but that is my old saw. 371 Husky with 32" bar. Sold it to a buddy last summer and he sent me the pics via cell phone.

Attachments

• 105.jpg
    105.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2,402
  • 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 2,227

akroadrunner

Occupation
Gravel Pit/ Trucking/Owner
Don't need big saws where I live now, but I've got them anyway. Just sold a McCulloch 125 Super Pro. Still sitting on a Stihl 090, 076, 075, 056 Mag 2 (brand new BTW) an 051 that looks and runs like new. a Homelite 1130 G Super gear drive, and a Homelite 922 Bow saw, Stihl S 10, 041 Super, MS 440, 034, 026 (the little guy I pack on the 4 wheeler) 3 McCulloch Super Pro 850's, McCulloch 450, an old Mac 35. Sure I missed a few.

Wolfcsm

Had a great day Saturday with 20 other chain saw enthusiasts, up in Northeast Oklahoma. Had my 880, several 660/066 saws, lots and lots of other makes and models for all to see and try.

HAL

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Managed to score a demonstrator saw, Husky 395XP, guessing it had run a carbide bullet chain, seller guessed maybe 1 tank of gas, inside was squeaky clean. 80% off retail, swings a 34 inch bar and skip tooth chain. Good tool for the big jobs but the 136/268/272 get the most use.

fyrwood guy

Occupation
husqvarna chain saw dealer
Managed to score a demonstrator saw, Husky 395XP, guessing it had run a carbide bullet chain, seller guessed maybe 1 tank of gas, inside was squeaky clean. 80% off retail, swings a 34 inch bar and skip tooth chain. Good tool for the big jobs but the 136/268/272 get the most use.

you did good, take care of the 395 they are gettin' EXPENSIVE......you got a nice line up.