• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar Wheel Loader

nevilley

Hi , i advertised for a Caterpillar 966C and having operated them in the 70;s i know what they are,however someone emailed me a loader which has 966C on the front arms and the engine cover but unless i am mistaken and Cat made a later model 966C the company selling it has got it wrong.So i am wondering if anyone can tell me what model loader it is going by the attached pics....hoping i can work out how to attach pics that is,,,thanks heaps....1.jpg2.jpg

Cmark

Agreed, need a S.No.

I'd be reluctant to call that a C series, more like an F, maybe? Plus it's got no ROPS. Is this in Australia? Import maybe?

nevilley

Cat Loader

Agreed, need a S.No.

I'd be reluctant to call that a C series, more like an F, maybe? Plus it's got no ROPS. Is this in Australia? Import maybe?

Yep its a Import , doubt if i will be getting it, just that i put out a few feelers for 966C and this company replied...in one of the photos ,one side of the engine was painted and one side wasnt...bit dodgy straight away....

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Agree it does not look like any 966C I have ever seen and we had many of them back then. Think someone picked the wrong decals out of the parts bin. I do know that the last 966C's the company I worked for brought very high prices at the Iron Planet auction. Even ones missing major parts or with head off the engine sitting out in the weeds!

Does look like a nice 5 gallon overhaul!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Even if you're not that interested in buying it just for sh1ts & giggles ask them for the Serial Number if for no other reason than to let us actually identify what it is, because we're all agreed it's not a 966C. I can say from experience that the 966D was a pretty unburstable tool. The lack of a ROPS would be common for something built in the late 1980's (if it is indeed a D) because back in those days the ROPS would have been an option and not mandatory.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
looks like a 950B with the engine cover lower door the way it is. the 966D had the little door in front of the radiator surround

kshansen

Occupation
looks like a 950B with the engine cover lower door the way it is. the 966D had the little door in front of the radiator surround

Also the lower edge of the panel under hood and above the rear frame is not right for the 966D's we had. On ours the lower edge of the panel was lower at the back edge than at the front as I recall. More of a trapezoid shape than the nice even rectangle on this one.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I have both a 966D and a 950B in my yard now. That looks like the 950. Judging by engine guards.

nevilley

Hi, I asked a Cat Tech and he said a 950B as well,,I also sent a message to the company that is selling it asking for the serial number and preferably a photo of it,(the serial number) as yet havnt recieved a reply,,, however given its the weekend may not hear back untill monday...

nevilley

Hi, I asked a Cat Tech and he said a 950B as well,,I also sent a message to the company that is selling it asking for the serial number and preferably a photo of it,(the serial number) as yet havnt recieved a reply,,, however given its the weekend may not hear back untill monday...Dont get it, i asked for a 966C ,if i wanted a 950B thats what i would of advertised for,,,

Rusted

If that is a 966c it's the only one ever built with Z bar linkage. :D

The paint shop made a big booboo, or were given a bum steer.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
I'm gonna guess it isn't even cat. Looking at pictures of the z bars and it doesn't look like any of the cats I looked up. But being import who knows. I swear an older Kawasaki 95 looks like I want to be a 980 when I grow up haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kshansen

Occupation
I'm gonna guess it isn't even cat. Looking at pictures of the z bars and it doesn't look like any of the cats I looked up. But being import who knows. I swear an older Kawasaki 95 looks like I want to be a 980 when I grow up haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That could be. I notice that what appears to be it's twin in the picture did not get the Cat decals???

I think I would look real close at those and anything else they are selling.

lantraxco

Way back when at the CAT dealer I worked for we got a memo concerning one particular loader serial number. Apparently somebody was buying up CAT components all around the world from any dealer that would sell them, and building "CAT" loaders with them somewhere in the Middle East, lol. They all had the same serial number! This may be one of those, or a Chinese knockoff, never know.