• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar D7T Engine Detail- Carbody Lighting Co

RayC

Occupation
Roading Manager
I've had a friend ask about engine detail for a Caterpillar D7T (1940s) . The engine has a plate detail Carbody Lighting Co. Can anyone provide any information as whether they fitted engines for the War Effort. Thanks

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I guess you actually mean D7 3T model? Engine reconditioning could be carried out by any number of reconditioning companies, and local companies anywhere the U.S. forces operated could be employed for reconditioning.

Reconditioning, instead of scrapping, was expressly sought for many items during WW2, due to the pressure on raw materials.

I have never heard of a Carbody Lighting Co. I too, would like to see a photo of that plate.

RayC

Occupation
Roading Manager
Photos that I have . Will get some more detail

Attachments

• IMG_7145.JPG
    IMG_7145.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7144.JPG
    IMG_7144.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 30

tctractors

A few D7 4T's were assembled under licence by the American Car & Foundry Co, the 4 and 6T were built to a different specification to the 7M and 3T series, the 4 and 6T's were made to withstand very long ship transport and overseas operation.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I believe the 4T model tractors were built with specific US Army requirements (attachments), and 6T tractors were built for the U.S. Navy, and had USN-specified attachments, such as a front mounted winch.

Typical attachments were full lighting and electrical systems, plus military hold-down brackets for items such as jerrycans, shovels, rifle, Alemite track lube greaser, etc.

These tractors were quite often worked "around the clock" (24 hrs a day), especially when constructing critical projects, such as new airfields for Allied Forces. So the lighting systems were an important addition.
As far as lighting systems go, they would be regarded as "pretty rudimentary", by todays operators!

The 4T was equipped as standard for the U.S. Army with the rear-mounted Le Tourneau "Model R" cable control unit, and the LeTourneau Model XD9 straight blade.
Some military D7's were fitted with the LeTourneau WCK7 angle blade instead of the straight blade.

Below is a video of a working D7 4T in excellent original condition. It has the Model R LeTourneau cable control and an XD9 straight blade. LeTourneau called his cable control, a "Power Control Unit".

This D7 4T is near-perfect in its WW2 U.S. Army originality, and the only things that are not genuine original, are the front idlers.
Take a close look at all the U.S. Army attachments that didn't come with a civilian D7.

The tractor is sporting later model disc-type idlers (obviously due to undercarriage replacement), the original idlers were spoked.
The track is fitted with rubber blocks on every second track shoe, so it can be driven on asphalt roads without the grousers tearing up the road surface.

Here is also a good "write-up" on the D7 history.