• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 92 U series 3406A in 1978 KW W900A...p/s conversion question.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Been a while since appearing here...once in a while I have a moment to myself to surface.

I'm fully involved in the project of converting my manual steering to hydraulic power steering today. I've got everything (so I thought,) except for the adapter plate that the Vickers hydraulic pump splined shaft goes into to be driven.

I have 2 of these trucks, both 78's, both A model Cat's...but my other one has a conical gear on the air compressor that has this plate bolted to. My existing one I'm working on now does NOT have a conical gear on the compressor shaft, it's a splined shaft with O ring. My question (if I'm fortunate enough to get a veteran Cat man here that's familiar with this series engines,) is...the adapter plate part # 9N 0055...is this the one I need to drive the Vickers pump and if so...will it just mate up properly without interfering with the compressor shaft? I'm thinking the other truck with the conical gear on the compressor has this conical gear to allow clearance between the two shafts...but maybe I'm overthinking all this.
Thanks in advance.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Looks like that 9N0055 in the last picture would replace item #10 in this one:

comp drive.png
It is bolted on with the same size and number of bolts as the part above.
Hope this helps and does not add to the confusion!

LowBoy

Occupation

View attachment 174335

Hmmm, unfortunately I can't read the last item on the dropdown menu in your picture even when I expand it; it's cutting off 1/2 of item # 9 even. Figures, LOL. But I do see the diagram and the piece in question.

It's just strange that I took the blank plate off the drive gear in front, went to put not ONE but TWO adapter plates that I had laying around and found them BOTH to be wrong...much bigger bolt patterns and a difference in the center hub protrusions in both mine as well.

I contacted a Pete dealer over in NH whom we do a lot of Cat parts through around here...he found the 9N 0055 plate in York, Pa. at Cat and supposedly had it overnighted. Well, here we are, well after "overnight" hours by 24 or so, and they didn't get it in yet. Messing me up big time. Nothing's easy anymore that's a fact.

Last edited:

LowBoy

Occupation

View attachment 174335

Sorry kshansen, I didn't even see this post before I replied to the second one. That's definitely the piece I'm looking for.

What's happening to me is the screenshot of the more detailed diagram is cut off on the bottom 1/2 way through Item # 9, then I realized you had another diagram included with the plate and 2 bolts, a more simplified diagram with my proper part # 9N0055...√√√