• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 312c hydraulic cylinder on stick stuck

Hi I have a cat 312c excavator that the hydraulic cylinder on the sticks stuck in the out position. It acts like a stuck valve but may be the relief valve. I broke the lines loose cylinder returns. Or push it against a tree and can get it to return but returns to the stuck position. Any help would be appreciated.

Cmark

When you say stuck out do you mean the cylinder is stuck out with the stick stuck in, or the stick is stuck out with the cylinder stuck in? (Good job I'm sober :))

If the cylinder is stuck out and won't retract then most likely you've got the piston broken off the end of the rod.

If the cylinder is stuck in and won't extend, then pray tell does it go in as soon as you start the engine or only when you raise the safety lever?

Cmark

OK. So there's a good chance the problem is in the pilot control valve (which is the component that the joystick attaches to).

The first quick and dirty check is to lift the rubber boot around the LH joystick and see if the plunger is stuck down. If all looks OK then you'll need to post your serial number and someone will be along to tell you to swap around a couple of hoses to either confirm or eliminate the pilot control valve as the problem.

Last edited:
OK. So there's a good chance the problem is in the pilot control valve (which is the component that the joystick attaches to).

The first quick and dirty check is to lift the rubber boot around the LH joystick and see if the plunger is stuck down. If all looks OK then you'll need to post your serial number and someone will be along to tell you to swap around a couple of hoses to either confirm or eliminate the pilot control valve as the problem.

My serial number is 01376

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
OK, so you have a grey market machine originally for the Japanese home market and originally uses Parts Manual reference XEBP7955/XJBP7955. If you want parts for this machine in the US you should use Parts Manual reference SEBP3833 which is for a US-built machine of CBA prefix and a Serial Number higher that CBA01201.

I can't add much to Cmark's post above. As a first step see if the plunger that operates the stick out function in the pilot control valve in the cab (if you lift the rubber boot you will find 4 plungers in the valve located at 90 degrees from one another) is stuck down and let us know what you find.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
OK, well in that case it does not appear as though it's the pilot side of the system that's causing the issue, because if it was then cutting the pilot system would stop the movement.

The description that you are using for the cylinder isn't what we normally use - not your fault I hasten to add. Just to make sure we are on the same page when you say it's the "cylinder on the stick" do you mean it's the cylinder mounted on stick that curls the bucket or is it the cylinder mounted on the top of the boom that moves the stick in and out...?

mikebramel

The $$$$ is multiplying by the minute... Take the cylinder off and apart.... If you probably find major damage in the cylinder you will probably find it in the valve also..... Lots of cleaning ahead