• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat vs Volvo vs Link-Belt vs Komatsu vs Kobelco

Big John

Komatsu

I have to agree 100% you can have the best product in the world, but if you dont have the service you dont have a hope....
Jamaica has good representatives for both Cat and Komatsu, i have gone more heavily into Komatsu and i am a very happy camper.
we now own 2) PC 600 4) Pc 300 and a Pc 200 .... about to buy another 2) Pc 600 machines... I could not be happier
I own a Cat 325 and that is a great little machine as well.....
Pricing in this market is a little different, and i have found Komatsu to be substatially cheaper than cat

surfer-joe

Sometimes you got to yell a little bit. If the dealer salesmen are ignoring you, speak to higher ups at the dealership or it's home office. If still having trouble, find out who the district rep is and discuss this with him. If you can't find him, call or write the factory. They aren't too hep about their dealer people missing out on a sale.

Big John

Sometimes you got to yell a little bit. If the dealer salesmen are ignoring you, speak to higher ups at the dealership or it's home office. If still having trouble, find out who the district rep is and discuss this with him. If you can't find him, call or write the factory. They aren't too hep about their dealer people missing out on a sale.

I didnt intend to bash anyone..... and for the record.... been there done that.

Mack

Well I just got introduced to the district rep about a month ago maybe I'll give him a call and tell him whats going on. Oh and I called the guy that runs the dealer ship for the price and still no word.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator

It's a bad day when you have to beg a salesman to take your money.:( While I'm not buying large equipment or in large numbers, I still don't have time to pester a dealer to sell me a machine. Unless I have no other choice, If they don't have time for me, I don't have time for them.
I guess if you have personnel dedicated to procurement then they can climb the dealers food chain.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Caterpillar is like that in parts of B.C. they are not interested in the small guy anymore your nothing but a Nuisance. When Komatsu was trying to make a impression on the area they had a dealer rep in the area on a regular basis. I seen the Komatsu rep in the area more than I see my relatives. That cut back quite abit now the Deere has a dealer rep in the area almost daily.

Mack

Yeah our Cat dealer is being a total ass. They act like they really care about your business when you are talking with them but as soon as you leave you know they forget about you. Our Volvo dealer is great they give us excelent service, and even keep a rental on hand at there local dealer when our loader needs service, and we bought that machine in 1997 or 1999 I can't remember:beatsme .

Wulf

The bending sheet metal wasn't from operator abuse it was from one swing and it bumped into a tree the sheetmetal caved in

:notworthy I have to remember that one next time I talk to my insurance company :notworthy

tylermckee

The bending sheet metal wasn't from operator abuse it was from one swing and it bumped into a tree the sheetmetal caved in. There were other problems with the 158.

Sounds kinda like operator abuse to me, The sheet metal wasnt designed to smash into trees. Do that in any machine and that will happen

Last edited by a moderator:

Wulf

...Our Cat dealer is being a total ass. They act like they really care about your business when you are talking with them but as soon as you leave you know they forget about you. Our Volvo dealer is great they give us excelent service...

Mack, it's my opinion but like yours and most other businesses, dealers can provide good service only if they can turn a profit at the end of the day. Caterpillar's and other OEM dealers stay successful by providing equipment to you guys, you occasionally breaking them, employing them to fix 'em using parts supplied by them, you eventually wearing them out and hopefully buying another. Once inside that cycle the excellent service everyone loves can be provided.

Realistically in todays market there is very little profit just in selling a new machine, and it can be a zero or negative profit at the dealer when a trade in is involved. The dealer's benefit can come in parts and service revenue over the machines life cycle...

surfer-joe

Some, well OK, a long time ago, Wyoming Machinery was that way. No interest in the ranchers and little contractors as they had all the big mines and large road contractors, plus the missile silo and base work. I talked with a lot of ranchers and smaller contractors around the northeast part of the state back then and they were buying anything but Cat. Some were pretty bitter about it. The dealer also fought hard to prevent other Cat dealers from coming into their territory, and bitched when out of state contractors brought their own iron in for work on various projects. But, Caterpillar Corporate keeps an eye on stuff like that, especially these days when orders for 651's are slow and are not the only products they make and sell. I know that Cat had a few "come to Jesus" meetings with the ownership in Casper. The last dealings I had with Wyoming Machinery, they were working hard to service everybody, their main problem these days being -- like so many other dealerships -- is they can't hire enough technicians. But they do work with the little guys a whole lot better than they used to.

I know that some small outfits don't have a purchasing department. That's the owner working off the kitchen table after supper, and after a day out digging footings and running a crew and equipment himself. But, if those having trouble with a dealership don't make some noise to the big Cat house in Peoria, or at least the district rep, then the dealer will continue to be sloppy and inattentive. Cat has been known to take over dealerships that were not cutting the mustard, and I've known more than one sales rep that went down the road muttering to his lunch bucket after being fired for poor performence. Just make sure you have a good case to present when registering a complaint. The choice is yours.

If I sound a little partial to Cat, it's because I am. I've worked for fine dealerships selling Allis-Chalmers, International, Poclain, Galion, International Trucks, and Cedar Rapids. These were all pretty good people whom slowly got swallowed up as markets and technology changed. Cat adjusted -- slowly sometimes -- and continued to build a strong dealership network, one you can trust to be there next week or ten years down the road.

But I would still rather run a good strong International TD25C dozer any day.

Mack

I know that some small outfits don't have a purchasing department. That's the owner working off the kitchen table after supper, and after a day out digging footings and running a crew and equipment himself.

That's not exactly how we operate but it is pretty close. Most of our purchasing department work is done in the cab of a F250 on our way to another job.:)

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF Big John! :drinkup

crazycajun

my cat dealer did the same thing. Tried to sell me a d6n w cab for 245,000 with no warranty. then told me if i dont like the price it's no big deal he doesnt need by business anyway. Also told me i was too young and biting off more than i could chew. then sent me a $13000.00 demo bill.

i went about 3 hr's down the road purchased d6n lgp cab and air 5000 hr warranty and aro ready for $226,000.00 with 0 hours.

maybe the price isnt that big of a deal but the attitude of the branch in lafayette is ridiculous.

after i bought the machine they called the other branch and had a whole lot to say to them. i believe if your going to give some company millions of dollars you should be able to buy from whoever you want. all the district bs is for the birds.

pomanski

In Western Canada Komatsu just started to become known in the market I would say maybe in the last 5 years they have become more prevailant. The dealers were giving good deals to the contractors to make sales. The deals were considerably cheaper than Hitachi/Deere which still dominates the excavator market. Komatsu seen that Caterpillar wasn't interested in the construction market so Komatsu moved in. Caterpillar Canada is after the big players aka the oil sands and large mining operations. The small excavation contractor isn't in their mind.

Komastu seems cheaper than the other brands and I gets to sit in and try out newer machines because of the freight business my familly is in.

The bending sheet metal wasn't from operator abuse it was from one swing and it bumped into a tree the sheetmetal caved in. There were other problems with the 158.

Like I said if your buying a new machine and its considerably cheaper than the rest must say something.

Also look at the cost of repairing the machine if you buy the machine cheaper than the rest but when it comes to getting parts etc and it costs you double than the other brand its " I got ya".

Spend a little more money now or alot of money later.

You should take a look at the new SANY excavtors

pomanski

Caterpillar is like that in parts of B.C. they are not interested in the small guy anymore your nothing but a Nuisance. When Komatsu was trying to make a impression on the area they had a dealer rep in the area on a regular basis. I seen the Komatsu rep in the area more than I see my relatives. That cut back quite abit now the Deere has a dealer rep in the area almost daily.

The problem I see is getting in front of guys is that they are extremly busy so reps have to keep trying

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Komatsu is one of the better excavators on the market. Their fit and finish is excellent, making it one of the most comfortable, capable and reliable machines on the market. Down here it is also one of the leaders in the excavator market so I find it hard to believe that they are cheaply built. I think its safe to say that the excavator is pretty much Komatsu's "flagship" piece of equipment.

In your expierence, what did you find that was cheap about them?

Well put, Countryboy. As I've mentioned before, we have a Cat rental fleet with 30 + pieces of their iron ranging from mini 301.6's on up to 330's, and several D-3's, etc. Cat is getting proud of themselves lately with us, and wants some financial commitments that we are not interested in at this time.

I personally have the task of shopping the market to find better prices on other brands, as I have convinced the owner that being a multi-branded dealer will improve our bottom line, and save substantial initial capital investment.

A Komatsu excavator in the 30K lb. class is $30K less money than the over-rated, overpriced Cat brand new, for example. Nothing wrong with Komatsu...same animal as Hitachi, Samsung, Daewoo.They all burn soy sauce, but all in all as John C. said previously, they're ALL GOOD up to 7,500 hours. (Personally, I like to see 'em headed for the auction or to the port headed to Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, or Egypt by their 6,000th hour, myself.)

We do a lot of transporting for our Cat dealer locally, and they recently knocked us out of the daily preferred carrier circles, and put the trucking out to bid. We're not running an auction...just a few $200,000.00 per unit trucks spec'd originally for their dedicated service. So we decided to let them use the lower bidders, and we can stay busy at other things, thank you.

When we get a call from them asking for a price to move such and such to a point, and it's too high compared to the "competition", they refuse our service and don't use us. When we call to buy a new excavator and they tell us it's $150,000.00 and we say, "we'll give you $148,000.00,...they tell us to basically go pound sand. And it's safe to say we do a heck of an amount of business with them on an annual basis compared to a lot of people here on this forum...parts alone even. It still doesn't matter to them, they're too big for their britches nowadays.

With that said, if there's another flavored dealer nearby that offers good quality service and parts availability, etc., don't be afraid to jump ship. They're all made of the same steel, plastic and fiberglass now anyways.

Soy sauce all smells the same once combusted.:cool2