• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Vs Bobcat

JoelDirt

Occupation
Council worker
Howdy guys, im just wanting peoples opinion on which is a better machine, Im looking at buying my first skid in a few weeks and was tossing up between the Cat 262C or the Bobcat S330. Iv always liked Bobcat but heard some great things about Cat lately. So if anyone can help my decide which may be better or even a different model, please help. It will be mainly used in road prep and diggin out sidewalks and stuff :)

calialx1

I have always owned Bobcat myself, for well over 15 years. In my opinion bobcat part are a little expensive but that is my only complaint. Other than that their skid steers are very dependable.

My buddy has a cat and has never had any problems with it either.

Which ever you choose to buy will serve you well, however, I prefer Bobcat for the simple reason that i already know all their limits and such.

Asphalt/Dirtman

The 272c is more comparable to the S330.

We have an S330 and it is an absolute horse. We run an 80 inch bucket for scooping asphalt chunks, asphalt, loading gravel, and running a high flow milling head. It is a heck of a machine. We went from an s250 to s330 and the differences was huge.

The bad about the bobcat is we have had our fair share of problems with it. Blew a drive motor, bobtach quit working, controls locked up, and a few other things which where all covered under warranty. But that was alot of things to happend in the last 1.5 years and 1100 hours. So its kind have been a catch 22. Great machine when its running. With that being said, this is our 3rd Brand new Bobcat and 5 or 6 overall and never had any problems like this.

The running joke is we are switching to CAT for skidloaders. Though we have never owned or really used a cat other than half hour here, half hour there. So no opinion on cat.

JoelDirt

Occupation
Council worker
Thanks heaps for the comment guys, Iv always been Bobcat even tho Iv only ever used mustang and didnt really like them so I think ill stick to my gut. Iv heard that theres not alot of difference between the S300 and 330, think its worth spending the extra money? Thats really unlucky with that machine hopefully just a one off. Not sure what my dealer support will be like here in Australia either, i know of one mate his machine broke and the dealer took for ever to get back to him about parts =(

Asphalt/Dirtman

Iv ran a mustang or too........ok for the price but would not buy one or plan on running it all day long....

Where the S330 excels is extreme skid loader applications, where the extra weight, lifting, and horsepower are needed. High flow attachments, like asphalt planer, brush mulcher, heavy material lifting like asphalt, asphalt chunks, concrete chunks, etc etc.
What do u plan on doing with it?

We looked at the cat 272c but never got around to demoing one because we got around 10k off the s330 with all the rebates and stuff.

Colorado Digger

i like the bobcat s250-300 platform myself. mostly because it is the right sized machine for our work. cat makes a hell of a machine.
i have a cat 307 and she has been a great little hoe, a little sloppy. i am a bobcat man so that is my 2cents

JoelDirt

Occupation
Council worker
Well it will be mainly used to run high flow attachments like asphalt planer, trencher, sweeper, probs even a wheel saw. Be used mainly for road maintenance, drainage, trenching and moving heavy items. The mustang is a bit of a hard ride, i don't know bout the new ones but the one I was running used the T-bar control wasnt a big fan. I think ill go to my no so local dealer today and see what they can do for me. Thanks guys.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Might consider CASE 465 high flow. I run a mulcher with mine. More engine torque than any machine from CAT or Bobcat. The newest model (series 3) run 288 foot/pounds mine which is an 07 has 264. I run 41.6 gpm and even when running at 9000 feet as long as you don't plug the radiator it wont overheat (since adding the pilot reliefs from CASE). Amazing performance, drinks fuel but the performance makes up for it.

JoelDirt

Occupation
Council worker
Case do sound pretty good, Just with dealer support here is pretty low and its a 4hr drive to the closest dealer. So that doesnt really thrill me, one other thing good about Bobcat for me is that its only an 1hr drive to the dealer. ( Dealer support is a big part in my decision) Im going to test drive a S330 in few days so hopefully that will give me an idea.