• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat serial number lookup for options.

Dbshea

Seems like this is the thread to get more info! Can I get some help identifying the build on my 257?

CAT257DAEZW00316

thanks!

ScottT

I just purchased a Cat 951B traxcavator, serial number 86J1104. It's a project, engine is stuck, but does have a 4 in 1 bucket, nice Young Corp woods roll cage, and a 5 point ripper/tool bar with a hydraulic circuit out back.

From what I have read so far, it has a D330 engine. Thought I have read that a D330C is not similar?

Would be interested in build date, initial build info and options. My first CAT, but probably not my last! Thanks in advance!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
You have an early B model. The B Serial Numbers ran up to 86J1991 when the C model was first introduced.
Date-wise it's somewhere around 1968-9, someone else may be able to date it more closely. 86J1992 (the first C model) was 1971 build.
Initial build info for machines from this era was available on the online system up to a couple of years ago but when SIS2.0 was introduced it disappeared.

Lube, Parts, & Service Manuals are widely available. If you don't have them already they ought to be top of your "must do" list.
Lube & Maintenance Guide - GEG00582
Parts Manual - UE070124
Service Manual - REG00783

ScottT

Thanks Nige, appreciate all you do for us new guys!
Two sets of manuals came with the purchase, one earlier than the other. Also purchased a pdf bundle to get some of the component manuals and maintenance manual.
I need to take some time to read through them, but can be dry reading when you don't have something specific you are working on!
Scott

ScottT

I got them from quality service manual dot com - about 50% scans of paper manuals and the rest SIS print to pdf, looks like. Since I have the good paper ones, they are my primary, but the pdfs will fill in some of the gaps or add additional detail ... maybe!

ScottT

I have been looking at various Cat manuals, how is the Caterpillar Tool Guide for usefulness? Looks like a three ring binder, several inches thick. Can get one for $60. Would this have much benefit for me working on my 951B and D330 engine? TIA!

SchuLace

If it’s the Dealer Service tools catalog, it really won’t help much. It just lists all of the tooling Cat has for all machines.

ScottT

Thank you both - I was wondering if it was just a listing of yellow tooling, guess at $60 it's a high priced list as well!

Here is a screenshot of the cover, 1987 vintage.

Screenshot 2023-02-18 093139.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Some of those eBay people are really proud of their museum pieces aren't they.? That was actually a give-away from Cat in its time.
Be careful of people selling service manuals, etc, on the internet marketplaces for more than you'd have to pay for a new one from Cat.
I got them from quality service manual dot com
I fail to see how they can sell anything useful at less than $100 when a genuine one sells for probably over $500 new.

Bluox

I just purchased a Cat 951B traxcavator, serial number 86J1104. It's a project, engine is stuck, but does have a 4 in 1 bucket, nice Young Corp woods roll cage, and a 5 point ripper/tool bar with a hydraulic circuit out back.

From what I have read so far, it has a D330 engine. Thought I have read that a D330C is not similar?

Would be interested in build date, initial build info and options. My first CAT, but probably not my last! Thanks in advance!
Your machine should have the 4.75" bore D 330 engine which is the early 3304.
post a picture, best way to ID.
Bad Bob

ScottT

Here's a couple with a close up of the VIN tag. Thanks, Scott
Still figuring out if it's best to post thumbnails or full image?

0219230813.jpg 0219230813_HDR.jpg 0219230813a.jpg

Lindavey

I took it on a trade and do not know anything about it. The CAT brochure shows a lot of options available. Does it indicate Performance package H1,H3, or H4? if it is standard or high flow? Also if it is Comfort package C0,C1,C2, or C3?
Anything you can find out would be appreciated. Id like to know what I actually have here. I'm not sure if it's something I should keep ahold of or just try to resell.
Thanks