• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Grader serial number?

mht1156

Occupation
Farmer, Truck Driver, Earthmoving
G'day Fellas

We have a Cat 12 grader here serial number 17K492, and I was wondering if that was the right number to determine if the engine is a D333 or an early 3306.

Thankyou for any help.

Mike.

Cmark

My book lists it as an Australian built 12E from the late 60s. Engine should be a 3306 3N prefix but to be sure, post a photo of the water pump area.

mht1156

Occupation
Thanks for that Cmark,

That serial number I quoted was off a plate on the engine block near the front, are there any other sneaky places that there may be more numbers lurking?
I will work on getting a pic of engine, just a little damp here at present to get near machine.

Mike.

Cmark

There may be other numbers but I don't know where. 17K492 is a good number for the machine though.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If the 17K-prefix Serial Number on the engine block is the same as the machine Serial Number range then surely according to numbering convention the engine should be a D333. It was only later when the 3300 series of engines came into being that the engine started to carry a S/N that was different to the machine, or am I missing something..?

Cmark

I agree Nige, the op's serial number dates it to about 1969 with a D333 but my serial number cross reference guide contradicts this so I was kind of erring on the side of caution.

mht1156

Occupation
MHT 2016 023.jpgMHT 2016 022.jpg

Pics of grader as requested. Only serial number I can find is one pictured on block and also an image of the water pump.

Mike.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
My serial number book shows that as a 1969 model machine. I don't have an engine book that says but that water pump area makes me think it could be a 3306. I've only had one machine with the D333 though and that was in an old compressor. I don't recall what that area of the engine looked like.