• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat dc6c decelerator pedal

keith-50

I have a cat d6c dozer , the decelerator pedal will adjust throttle back to idle speed when depressed and not return to set governer speed.I have to move throttle manually back up to higher rpm each time I step on decelerator pedal.If I move throttle off idle speed and mov decelerator pedal toward seat engine speed will increase. Not sure how linkage is suppose to work, any advice would be appreciated, thank you

keith-50

Thank you for your reply Nige, My injection pump does not end cap bolted to side. I thank that its is refered to as a scroll type pumpom my 10k d6c with shaft sticking out the side of housing with end cap on back of pump. My throttle rod has a large diameter cylinder in parts book labled decelerator. Not sure how it works, seems seized up, if if throttle rod is supposed to retract inside decelerator tube. Also parts book did show spring loader cam assembly on shaft assembly under dash. I did not want remove dash assembly to gain access to shaft assembly if decelerator assembly tube wasnt operating properly, thanks again keith-50

Bob/Ont

You need to get at the cam assembly. It holds the throttle in position, when you decal the linkage is stretched at the spring which returns the throttle to preset position when you release the decel pedal. If the cam slips the throttle will not return after decelerating.
LaterBob

D6c10K

You can get the decel linkage out from under the dash without too taking too much apart. Pulling up the floor panels will give you access to the mounting bolts and throttle linkage. Might take some standing on your head and a little swearing but it will come out the right hand side. I reconditioned mine last year and it made all the difference.
I replaced the bushings and long shaft because of excessive wear. To save a few $ I reconditioned the roller brake myself by making new rollers from hardend dowel pins, and emery papered the inside of the cap that the rollers run in. The plate that holds the springs & rollers has flat surfaces the rolls ride against....there will likely be a very small wear spot on the flat at the roller contact point and that's enought to keep it from working properly. Since I had access to a surface grinder I just cleaned up the flats to make it good as new, but if you can't do that then just replace the plate. The assembly didn't originally have any provision for lubricating it so I drilled holes at the bushing locations and installed grease zerks.

The other thing I did was modify the spring device in the decel linkage....It had a very strong spring and after a day of use my foot would be sore from pressing the pedal. I carefully de-crimped the spring tube and replaced the heavy spring with a couple of lighter ones I picked up at the local farm store. Much better....just takes light pedal pressure to decel now.