• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D8K with root rake

fArMeRkNoWsBeSt

Occupation
Farmer
Hey

A farm across the road from one of ours is having some land cleared with this machine. The trees were harvested a couple of years ago by a company and he has been running cows through the land to keep the brush from re-growing. Now the dozer is windrowing the stumps and stones so the land can be drained and hopefully a crop grown next year. I doubt the crop part will happen but he is making progress clearing.

Anyways, the driver told me it was a 1977 model and has been a good hard worker for them over the years. I was fortunate enough to capture the pics when he came up to the road to have the one track shortened a link. The tightener was fully extended and as you can see there is still quite a lot of play in it.

Warren

Attachments

• IMG_6960.jpg
    IMG_6960.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 2,517
  • IMG_6961.jpg
    IMG_6961.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,562
  • IMG_6962.jpg
    IMG_6962.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2,072
  • IMG_6963.jpg
    IMG_6963.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 2,371
  • IMG_6964.jpg
    IMG_6964.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 2,882
Last edited:

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Do they tab the grousers special for that type of work? Or is it a company thing? All the forestry machines i've been around did alright with standard shoes. Neat paint btw too.

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Earthmoving business owner
i saw that very machine for sale on machinerytrader.com about a year ago.... its had some very extensive powertrain work done to it.

hardtail

They usually cork the grousers for snow and ice work especially on slopes, way more stable footing in the winter, then summers work usually just wears them off again.

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
That is the best rake, it looks like a Beals. It isn't mounted correctly, they were not made for a C frame. You can see the unused brackets on the rear side of it. I have many thousands of hours on those rakes.

JDOFMEMI

Seems to work that way all the same though. I was wondering why it seemed pitched so far forward, when I looked back, I can see why now.
That is a good rake, not like some of them that come apart easier in heavy work.

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
Nice dozer!!

the white colour looks really good! too bad it could be lost in the snow here in Finland:D maybe thats why Koo plays around with those red machines :rolleyes::D
Is that a D7G? funny looking rear end...
could that be a former United nations machine? they usually have white equipment on the battle fields.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
I'm gonna take a guess that either the contractor painted all his equipment white, or that it was used for reclamation of a mine or something.

fArMeRkNoWsBeSt

Occupation
Farmer
i saw that very machine for sale on machinerytrader.com about a year ago.... its had some very extensive powertrain work done to it.

No you didn't, you saw its identical twin on machinerytrader.com. It sold last year for about 45k the guy told me. They put a little over 30k into the drivetrain 2 years prior to that.

fArMeRkNoWsBeSt

Occupation
Farmer
Do they tab the grousers special for that type of work? Or is it a company thing? All the forestry machines i've been around did alright with standard shoes. Neat paint btw too.

I really don't know why the grousers are tabbed. Good question. Yea the white paint really stands out. All of their dozers are painted white. I'll try and get some pics of their very new D8 high track tiling machine when it comes in a few weeks to tile the bush.

Warren

fArMeRkNoWsBeSt

Occupation
Farmer
Nice dozer!!

the white colour looks really good! too bad it could be lost in the snow here in Finland:D maybe thats why Koo plays around with those red machines :rolleyes::D
Is that a D7G? funny looking rear end...
could that be a former United nations machine? they usually have white equipment on the battle fields.

Nope, printed right on the side, D8K...:) It was bought new to put tile pipes in the ground. That is the reason for the brackets on the rear. It did that job for a great many years until being replaced and retired to straight dozer work.

Warren

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
That is the best rake, it looks like a Beals. It isn't mounted correctly, they were not made for a C frame. You can see the unused brackets on the rear side of it. I have many thousands of hours on those rakes.

your right about that. the curve of the tines (the one we had on a D6D the tines were open between them all the way up) and the fact that they extend all the way to the top of the blade allows you to roll the brush ball in front of you. in 2nd gear you could knock 90% of the dirt out of your brush for burning.

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Earthmoving business owner
No you didn't, you saw its identical twin on machinerytrader.com. It sold last year for about 45k the guy told me. They put a little over 30k into the drivetrain 2 years prior to that.

oh.... apparently i didn't. did you get this guys phone number too? seems to me you had quite a little chat with him hahaha lol lol lol