• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D7H hydraulic oil over heating

Dano AV

The hydraulic oil gets very hot within 30 minutes of running the dozer just by running the machine without touching the joystick. I have no clue what's making it happen.

Oxbow

The serial number is 08Z40157. Not sure what you mean by diff steer or not?
Diff steer will have a tiller joystick on the left, otherwise you should have indeed clutch/brake levers.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I’m going to guess hydraulic pump not destroking and instead going over relief.
Posibble causes are pump compensator or pump servo coming apart.
Strat with standby pressure check.

Dano AV

The serial number is X79Z201668 and it steers by clutch breaks. It has a joystick to move the blade up and down and tilt.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
To the OP. Can you elaborate more on how this situation came about.?
Has it got slowly worse over time or did the overheating appear from one day to the next.?
What oil are you using in the hydraulic system.?
Have you removed the filter yet and cut it open to look for contamination.?

Dano AV

It has gotten worse over time. The filter has been changed found a piece of rubber hose about a quarter inch square in it not much else just been topping up the oil with Fran 32 hydraulic.

Dano AV

I haven’t ever cut one open. The one that just got taken off got thrown away now there’s a new one on there so it shouldn’t be clogged up but it’s still overheating the oil same as before.