• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT D6R w/C9 fluttering under load

Aron

Occupation
Manager
It is better to figure out the problem first.I think the local dealer should solve this problem for you.If not them,who will be responsible for it?

Per Eriksson

Don't bother with the cleaner and all that stuff, pull the floor and put a transparent hose on the return first.

Pipelinemech

Had a 6 doing the same thing. took a 3 foot section of clear plastic hose and put it in the return fuel line. no bubbles till it started missing then it was pure foam. thats where i would start for sure.

02Dmax

Aron - the dealer has been out there 7 or 8 times, they've done less troubleshooting than I have and made less progress and they charge about 1200 bucks every time they show up to sit there on their computer and scratch their head. We're done with the dealer.

I'll start with the clear hose, sounds like a quick and easy test.

DPete

Makes me sick when a dealer charges top dollar and no results, they should wave the charges. Interested in what you find in the end.

02Dmax

Well I just got back to town and talked to the customer. The only way he can get his money back from the dealer for all the fruitless service calls is to let them keep working on it and they'll credit him however many hours he's already paid for. So its at the dealer getting a new HEUI pump and injectors put in it. That's pretty much bull$hit on the dealers part in my opinion but if that's the only way to get your money back I'd be doing the same thing. I just hope they get it going for him. This is the same dealer that won't refund money for parts though either, they'll just write you a credit for future purchases, which is fine because I'll always have future purchases there but when they mess up a parts order twice the last thing I want to think about is ordering from them again. Lol.

I'll keep you posted on whether this fixes it. It was supposed to be done yesterday morning and still no call.

Per Eriksson

How convinient, now they get the chance to cover up their mistakes and blame it on the pump or an injector maybe, would be fun though if they don't solve it this time either.......

02Dmax

I'd like to be the one that finds air in the return line. Supposedly some guys from Peoria were even in there poking around on it. I find that hard to believe though. I doubt they have time to do anything but design more complicated equipment that's impossible to work on.

Per Eriksson

I call ******** on the Peoria saga, that would take an act of congress to get CAT to get involved in small stuff like this.

C130 eng

Prob wouldnt be fun if they don"t solve it this time since this is my dozer and I have spent around 10 grand on trying to get this prob solved! Can't complain about the dealer at all they bent over backwards to get it fixed and they credited my account for two of the three service calls they have made for this problem.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I had the Peoria out with me before. Mine was a safety issue though. Keep posting the results, I want to know what you find just in case I ever run into this problem and Good Luck!

Cmark

Don't go too hard on the dealers. They're only human.

I had a 3176 in a 140H with what sounds like the same problem; an intermittent fluttering missfire under heavy load. Spent hours with ET trying to pinpoint the bad injector but no luck. As the customer didn't want to spring for six reman injectors, and it wasn't causing him any operational problems, we left it.

It gradually got worse and six months later we could pin it down to #1.

I suppose the takeaway is, if it only sounds broke, don't fix it. :)

DLMKA

Have you checked fuel transfer pump inlet pressure? You'll have to put a tee with a gauge in the inlet of the transfer pump. At high idle if you see more than 11-12inHg vacuum change your water separator first. If it's still got lots of vacuum start looking for a kinked or twisted fuel supply line or a tank valve that isn't open all the way. Once diesel gets below around 12inHg it turns to foam and causes strange things to happen.

02Dmax

6 injectors and a HEUI pump fixed it! I haven't talked to him since he started working it but he said it sounded great at the CAT shop when he went to see it. I'm just glad its figured out and fixed. I'll definitely be keeping this one in my notebook for future reference and I'm sure the guys at the dealer will too. I heard through the grapevine that they ended up finding some pieces in the injectors or oil galley but I haven't talked to C130 eng to confirm that.

Gavin84w

Tell him to change the oil bang on 250 hrs from now on and even use Cat branded oil and filters. This will go a long way to keeping in with the dealer if some goodwill situation arises in the future. Use there SOS aswell, it,s a 2 way street at the end of the day.

ibfarmin

just was reading your thread from a couple of years ago about a d6r/c9 that was fluttering under full and heavy load. I am having the same problem, little puffs of black smoke. mine seems to be doing it at full rpm but not full load like a stall. unit has 11k hours on it, pump and injectors have been done, I have ran the overhead. no difference. was wondering if you had found the problem with yours.