• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6nxl undercarriage

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Yes nige exactly the same.
OK, so the track groups are only moderate service, not heavy duty, and based on the text below where did all the rock guards go.?

1706670461523.png

I'm with Shimmy. What % wear are the track rollers showing on the undercarriage report.? Well over 100 I would have thought.

TBH unless you need loads of flotation I'd say those shoes are probably about 2" wider than they need to be.

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
I'm gonna say it, bottom rollers were shot to hell 1000 hours ago, and probably contributed to hammering the pins out. I'd be curious to know how much lube is left in the links.
Rough riding for sure

xc3002002

OK, so the track groups are only moderate service, not heavy duty, and based on the text below where did all the rock guards go.?

View attachment 304388

I'm with Shimmy. What % wear are the track rollers showing on the undercarriage report.? Well over 100 I would have thought.

TBH unless you need loads of flotation I'd say those shoes are probably about 2" wider than they need to be.
Nige, machine has never had bottom guards. Looking for last undercarriage report.

Oxbow

I'm gonna say it, bottom rollers were shot to hell 1000 hours ago, and probably contributed to hammering the pins out. I'd be curious to know how much lube is left in the links.
The roller flanges aren't hitting the pin boss on the links too bad yet though.

From the report it is clear that the links have worn faster than the rest of the components, but I certainly don't know what would cause that other than possibly being run too tight.

Nige

Interesting that the U/C report doesn't list the wear for the RH track rollers but does for the LH ones. Any idea why.?
From the report it is clear that the links have worn faster than the rest of the components, but I certainly don't know what would cause that other than possibly being run too tight.
Track tension was too tight on the LH side and REALLY tight on the RH side according to the report. No idea whether this is typical throughout the life of the U/C or not. I also wonder if the tension has any relation to the RH track roller wear.? From the photos it appears as though the link pin boss wear is far higher on the RH side of the tractor than it is on the left.

xc3002002

Interesting that the U/C report doesn't list the wear for the RH track rollers but does for the LH ones. Any idea why.?

Track tension was too tight on the LH side and REALLY tight on the RH side according to the report. No idea whether this is typical throughout the life of the U/C or not. I also wonder if the tension has any relation to the RH track roller wear.? From the photos it appears as though the link pin boss wear is far higher on the RH side of the tractor than it is on the left.
It was March of 2023 when he did measurment . Told me why he did not do right side but I don't remember. Any way I had just pumped the right track out and never got around to letting off some grease. Machine been sitting since. Start every few weeks to keep batteries up.

Nige

Nige what is a field replacement order?
It means that something has been cancelled/superceded/improved and the original is no longer available.
So if you were working out in the field then instead of ordering 110-2978 you should order 558-9212 which is the "field replacement" for the (in this case) superceded Part Number. This updated number is most likely what the dealer will quote you.

Attachments

• M0101641-01.pdf
    279.7 KB · Views: 6

xc3002002

So the question now is to turn or not to turn. Save the turn money, put new sprockets segments as needed and hope for the best. Unless you are standing right there watching, you just don't know. As far as accelerated wear on my undercarriage, I, being the only operator accept my operating could have some bearing on fast wear. However, maybe there are several things that contributed to problem.

ahart

Personally I see a lot of wear on the sprockets in reverse, this probably contributes to the overall wear of the undercarriage. I would never let them talk me into a P&B turn again. It just doesn’t make sense on a machine this size. The whole undercarriage is worn out and needs replaced. If it’s a farm tractor, you can go cheap and get some more hours out of it. If you’re selling it’s services, you need to do it right or you’ll be dealing with broken tracks while you’re trying to do a job. You don’t have to go back with all cat parts, like I said earlier, ITR is a good performer on this size of machine. The only thing new segments on old rails will do is slow the bushing wear. Nothing else will change, they’ll get a smidge tighter for awhile but it won’t last long. The choice is really yours and depends on what you need from the machine.

Welder Dave

Long pushes and long reverse in 2nd gear would accelerate wear in addition to the tracks being too tight. New sprocket segments would be basically throwing money away if the tracks have to be replaced anyway. You'd want new sprockets when you put new chains on. Worn sprockets would wear the new chains prematurely. Still not sure what's causing the excessive wear on the sides of the links, worn rollers maybe?

ahart

Bottom rollers worn is likely causing the wear pattern on the links. You can see it well in the last picture on post #15. I think their % numbers on the report are a bit conservative, but I’ve found that’s generally the case.

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
Bottom rollers worn is likely causing the wear pattern on the links. You can see it well in the last picture on post #15. I think their % numbers on the report are a bit conservative, but I’ve found that’s generally the case.
I would agree 100%

nicky 68a

I’ve never had anything like the value I should get out of any Cat undercarriage I’ve ever had apart from D9.
It’s good,but far too expensive here in UK and can easily stick another few £ per hour on my track costs.
For D6N size,I’d have no worries whatsoever of buying new trackgroups for it from ITR.Never turn them,but be prepared to put new segments on them when the segments hit the 50% worn mark.If you do it correctly, you’ll get 3 sets of segments out of one set of trackgroups,then throw the lot away.In the case of your lgp machine, you should get 2 sets of rails out of your grousers.
Cat most certainly is not the most profitable choice for many instances for owners of dozers.
Exceptions do apply though obviously.