• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat d6c

PepeLp

I'm looking at a CAT D6c. Is the direct drive transmission a big advantage over the powershift? More reliable?

Thanks.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Too me i would prefer powershift.They have held up very good over the years.

Dirct drive have to keep the clutch brake adjusted,plus might need to be replaced,not real big deal .

Would think of the number of powershift machine to direct drive machine out there that used parts or aftermarket parts are more available if need.

Like everything depends on how well the former own took care of it.

83Jim

I have never owned or operated a D6C but understand that the D6C power shift tranny is very reliable (even used successfully in some later model D7F applications). Typically, power shifts are preferred for frequent direction changing applications (ie general dozing). Standard shifts are good for agricultural or similar use where long durations of one direction travel is a factor (ie row plowing).

Maybe Ozdozer will have a chance to comment before you make a final decision. He made a living with D6C's and knows them in and out.

LonestarCobra

The torque convertor on the D6C's are notorious for overheating. They will make for a long day if you are pushing up a dam or something like it. The rest of the machine is pretty solid. I would go for the 10K over the 76A if you go for a powershift.

oldirt

if that is a direct drive you have no overheating worries at all. I would not own a direct drive machine and you can get a supplemental air to air trans cooler which will eliminate that problem if it is a ps.

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
basically depends what sort of work your going to do pepe.
Direct drive excells at drawbar work. powershift is better for frequent direction changes like roading and pushing dirt. Gear drive sttill does all this; just that the man in the seat has to work alot harder with geardrive than powershift. Powershift will drink 50% more fuel than geardrive!
Bottom line with either is what condition is the machine in ??
My views anyway.