• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT Converted to skid steer

colson04

Spotted this on the side of M-37 by Dan Diamond Equipment today and had to stop and take some pics to share. My wife thought I was nuts. " I don't understand what's so important that you need pictures":rolleyes:

IMAG0612.jpg IMAG0613.jpg IMAG0614.jpg IMAG0616.jpg

crane operator

I don't know, that looks like a grader chain drive set up, but the welds on that lower part certainly don't look factory. Compare the weld in the first picture to the second. That bottom section certainly doesn't look factory, compared to the back frame portion.

cat skid_LI.jpg cat skid 2_LI.jpg

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
looks like Cats version of the LW16 and better.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Years ago, we had one of those at a rock quarry I worked at. It was equipped with a railroad coupler, and we used it to move railcars to and from the loadout area. I think the one we had dated back to the 60's or 70's

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
MOG5858 that's stops on here occasionally has one also in Canada. While not abundant there are a few around. Beside the one Eric is running in the video with the pull grader there is another beautifully restored one is in the Veercamp collection in California.

Last edited:

Komatsu 150

Years ago, we had one of those at a rock quarry I worked at. It was equipped with a railroad coupler, and we used it to move railcars to and from the loadout area. I think the one we had dated back to the 60's or 70's
I believe these were originally intended for railroad use to move cars around a yard. Much cheaper than any engine.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Looking at the nose of the first pictures that machine seems to have a RR coupler install slot in front.

TimT

Occupation
Heavy Construction driver/operator
ArZh0Qh.jpg
[/IMG] The first were built for very large sugar cane growers in Florida a to haul sugar cane and other tasks. United States Sugar was involved. "Hence the "USS" on the pictured unit... That would be quite a find if its an original USS machine. A big cat dealer in the south built the first ones, and I think later Cat offered them as a factory build. Quite a few are around restored, some even in Europe. Ringling Brothers had a bunch of them for circus train loading, set up, etc. They ended up all over the place in different years.
ArZh0Qh.jpg

Last edited: