• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat C9 IN PEGSON

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
He certainly did, and his father before him. When we moved to the house we live in now the ex-wife opined that the car might fit into the larger garage of the new house because at the old one the garage was full of bikes. "Don't be silly" was the reply "the bigger garage just gives us more room for bikes" .........

This is my current ride, and #3 son who races a Kawasaki ZX6R in Junior Superstock

IMG_2743.jpgDave.png

Cmark

That's very interesting.

I was taught the basics of hardening, tempering and annealing steel by my dad. One day in metalwork class at school, the subject of annealing copper came up. The teacher told us the heat and quench. I thought that this was pretty counter intuitive, but he demonstrated it and it actually worked and that's how I've done it ever since.

If I remember,( :drinkup ), I'm going to experiment with both methods at work tomorrow. I'll report on the results.

So I had a little play with this today.

My strictly unscientific experiment involved getting two copper strips and drilling a small hole in one end. I annealed them both, one by quenching and one by air-cooling. I then clamped them both to the edge of the bench, hung a piece of bent wire through the hole and started to hang weights (3/4" track nuts) on both pieces of wire to see which strip would bend first. And the results were........... wait for it.......

Taddaaaaaa. Both the same!

Within the grounds of error due to the crudity of my experiment, they both began to bend under the same amount of weight. I then straightened them out and repeated the test. This time the air cooled piece seemed a little less ductile then the quenched piece. I tried it a few more times and the air cooled piece was definitely work hardening the quicker of the two, but not much.

The only other difference was the quenched piece was clean and the air cooled piece had a layer of oxide on it.