• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat bucket teeth

Pete1468

My bucket teeth are coming loose every 20-30 hours. New pins and retainers, can I weld something on the retainer end to stop this or is the problem solved another way? I'm running the large cat spade teeth for rocks in dirt and ripping concrete up. I like them for more of a smoother finish.

Bls repair

How loose are they getting. Some movement is normal specially in rock and concrete. Photos of extreme movement to left and right ,up and down will help to see how movement you have.

How are the shanks,worn shanks will cause excessive movement.

Pete1468

Falling off loose, the pins wiggle on out. They aren't super tight when you put them on new. I'm guessing I need to weld up there shanks to make them tight again.

Bls repair

Yes. What you can do in the meantime is weld a bolt across both holes so the pin won’t fall out .
Don’t weld where the hole is or you will have time getting the caps off.

Nige

Which style of tooth do you have, J-Series with a side-to-side pin right through a hole in the tooth and the adapter or K-Series with the tapered wedge-shaped lock that you drive down between the tooth and the adapter..? See photos - J-Series on the left. K-Series on the right
upload_2019-2-16_6-39-6.pngupload_2019-2-16_6-39-50.png

Nige

That style generally only comes loose if the adapter (shank) is worn. They likely need welding to build them up.
I've seen people install the pins & locks then weld a washer on to each end of the pin.