• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 966H versus Komatsu WA470

alco

Tell me, do you know if the 966H has a forward/reverse switch like Volvo's or do Cat still use that bloody awful stick on the steering column to change direction?

I think that is going to depend on which steering system the loader was ordered with.

Ross

Only small work on the Komatsu.

I'de buy the CAT machine.

Iam looking after a 966H with high hours .. Great little loader ..

The 966H (A6G S/N) has the direction lever at the wheel and a rocker switch next to the implement controls.

Jasper

Well I was handed my brand new 966H about three weeks ago and I very nearly walked out. I have never operated a machine with so much plastic on it, the switch gear feels like it's been made by Fisher Price, it's cheap and nasty. Over the past couple of weeks I've had a few heated discussions with managers who have finally conceded that the reason we are moving to CAT is because they are cheaper than Volvo (966H is approx £30k cheaper than the L150F) it's a bean counting exercise. Word of warning for anyone who is looking at the cheap option, within 2 days we had the following problems with the 966H: major engine oil leak, beacon fell off, rear door strut fell off and reversing lights failed. The CAT fitter who came out openly admitted that these days CAT machines are built down to a price.

Buyer beware, you get what you pay for.

sultan

Sounds like you've gotten a real lemon Jasper. Such issues on a new unit are indeed unacceptable but I've never encountered any such issues on any operational CAT loader I've run. I haven't run a 966H but I have run a 966G and I found it to be a very nice loader. It had 6k hours without a single significant issue. Hope they fix up your machine. My own CAT IT18F has been impeccably reliable thus far, though I have found the f series to be a bit better built than the g and h series loaders.

posthoorn

Occupation
heavy construction engineer
Try the Komatsu WA470/480 (LC) dash 6 that are nice machines.
easy to operate and the cab is comfertable.for maintenace u have good acces to all the filters.

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
our company just bought a kamatsu loader (wa 250) didnt like it at first rather the hundi but it was grown on me and i have really come to like it. no problem with parts, is good on fuel and operates very well. how ever smaller then what you are looking for but may still be a good showing in what kamatsu has to offer. we currently are thinking about using strictly kamatsu when upgrading all of our machines.

ejbiers

Occupation
heavy equiptment operator
i run a komatsu wa480-5 and i love the thing. im in it 12 hours a day and it has a very comfortable cab. Great power. ect.

jw8080

I would suggest a Cat 966, I am in the business of trading both machines for the past 20years and have found that Cat loaders are more desirable than Komatsu or Case. I bought both a 966H and WA470 at very good dollars at an auction late last year. I have since sold the 966 plus a long list of requests for same unit. At this point I still have the Komatsu WA470 available for sale. From a sales perspective we usually get more requests for the Cats as against the Komatsu.

duffy

Occupation
Bush mechanicin
get a komatsu for sure. wa470 and 480 are very popular here. get a -6 and make sure it's not a H (HANOMAG) get the jap one and she'll be sweet for ages

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
get a komatsu for sure. wa470 and 480 are very popular here. get a -6 and make sure it's not a H (HANOMAG) get the jap one and she'll be sweet for ages

Duffy, I would be interested to know why why you say that, I would have thought both machines would be built to the same standards.

RnR.

OOOSQ

Duffy, I would be interested to know why why you say that, I would have thought both machines would be built to the same standards.

RnR.

Notable issues with the hanomag versions of the Komatsu. Self admitted by Komatsu themselves.

duffy

Occupation
Bush mechanicin
Im no expert, but I understand that Hanomag was taken over by Komatsu and continues to build loaders for Komatsu as Komatsu but in a h series? As for elaboration The difference in build quality is noted when you work on the machine. The massive field campaign on all 470 480 and 500 h loaders was all to do with slag and **** left in hydraulic tank causing steering pump and hydraulic failures. The hanomags seem to break down alot more in my experience.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
That is interesting Duffy, the reason I asked, was because we purchased a 2005 WA 380-5H that had done 3,000 hours, out of Germany last year. To date, we are very happy with it, so I guess time will tell. Komatsu have been building wheel loaders in the Hanover factory since 1992, so one would hope that by now, they have got the problems sorted out.

http://www.komatsueurope.com/corporate/eo_hanomag.cfm?lang_id=en

Getting back to the original question, we have three WA 380's, -1, -3 and a -5. The -1 has 11,500 hours on it and has had no problems at all. We have had an excellent run out of all of them so far, they are relatively easy to work on, perform well and they are very nice machines to operate. The one thing I have noticed with Komatsu machines compared to other machines, is the amount of room in the engine bay and around the transmission, it just makes them so much easier to work on. I would have no hesitation in buying the WA 470.

I can not comment on the Cat machines, because I have not operated any of their late model equipment.

RnR.