• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 963 - Right Machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackertheBiker

I've started the process of building a pond on my property, knocking down and selling trees this fall and winter, and plan to build the Dam next spring / summer. It's about a 2 acre lake, and will be a 22' tall at center x 350' long dam. Somewhere between 3:1 and 4:1 slope on the dam, so I've mathed out around 9k yards of dirt in the dam, plus getting a good layer of clay spread on the 2 acre lake, and then spreading topsoil back out. The dirt is mostly clay out here, shouldn't be any surprises or anything to make the job difficult. I have a FORD 655C backhoe I can put someone in occasionally too, to help dig / prep dirt, do the core trench with, etc.

I have access to a late 80's / early 90's CAT 963 track loader. Trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into here. Is this a suitable machine to tackle this job with? How many hours of dirt pushing do we think I'm in for - 300 hours in the cab? Also what kind of fuel consumption am I looking at? Just trying to figure out some of the details before I dive into this, and trying to weigh out if I just need to take a loan out and have someone come in and do it for me. I'm not worried about my knowledge or capabilities in building a lake - I've read enough to be confident I'll be successful. My concern is how much time this will cost me, if this track loader is the right machine, and what the fuel and maintenance cost will end up being. Anything to look out for on this machine, to make sure I don't completely tear up my buddy's dozer? All input welcome!

- Backer

BillG

A company that I do work for is just finishing one about the same size. Clay over with a mix of gravel sand rock and big boulders. Second summer, not considering weather delays and breakdowns about 3 months, no dam, D6XE and 650H Case for lighter work and cleanup. No clay liner but will have a liner.

BackertheBiker

ering weather delays and breakdowns about 3 months, no dam, D6XE and 650H Case for lighter wo
So, any idea how many hours of machine time you have in it? Also, are you saying you dug a 2 acre pond from a flat area? That's a whole different ballgame than building a dam to create a 2 acre lake. By no means do I have to dig a full 2 acres of dirt out for mine.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Welcome to the HEF. I look forward to following along with your pond project.

Have you considered getting an old, giant excavator?

BackertheBiker

Welcome to the HEF. I look forward to following along with your pond project.

Have you considered getting an old, giant excavator?

Have not put much thought into that. The dozer is available to me, for the cost of fuel and general maintenance. The backhoe is already mine, and does everything I usually need around the property, so don't necessarily need another piece of equipment around. I assumed a dozer would be a more efficient method for this. I'll read through the link, but can't imagine it would be a good idea for me to buy a giant anything :D

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Double thread on the same topic.

Any posts can be made in this thread -

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.