• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 963 Hydrostatic oil and Hydraulic oil

TrackLoader

Purchased my first yellow toy recently and was looking for some information. It goes something like this: Picked up a CAT 963 made in about 1987. It has what appears to be a “genuine” 6,500 hrs and looks to be in fair condition for its age. I haven’t owed a trackloader before and would welcome some knowledge from others experiences. The previous owner has assured me all the fluids and filters have recently been done….,,, fairly!….. recently!. So I have made the decision I need to just do all the fluids and filters to know what I’m starting with. I have done a little work (~50hrs) since taking possession and have a few queries;
1. Hydrostatic drive. I’m about to do the filter and fluids for the first time. I have been looking at stuff online at https://safety.cat.com/cda/layout?m=388662&x=7 and reading stuff here. The transmission and pumps currently have 15/40w engine oil from the previous owner. :eek:(SOS oil tests came back good with pre-purchase inspection:D). I have noticed the travel speed of the machine is consistently quite slow regardless of the RPM. Machine tracks fairly strait backwards and forward. Great pushing power and will continue to operate the hydraulics fairly, under load and spin the tracks without overload on the engine from the sound/feel of it. It has started to feel slower lately at full travel speed…. There has also been increasing frequency of slowing from travel speed to stop (without engine RPM decrease) and then steady acceleration to the slow travel speed again. Slowing the Engine RPM doesn’t appear to make the machine speed up again. Oh please don’t let it be……… not the big $$$ end of the thing….OH NO!!....... I have been reading a bit on this very informative site (Great work everyone!:drinkup) and fear the worst may be in store. So these recent events have strongly encouraged me to change all the fluids and filters on the machine and see if this is the silver bullet. So a few of these queries to you all. Do I need the “Pipe Tool” to open the transmission drain valve??? Cat dealer could sell me the Nipple but said the Bushing was no longer available. Any suggestions? Replacement oil. I had initially thought heaver would be better and the CAT online stuff about Lubricant Specifications and Viscosities helped me validate this when I spoke to the local CAT dealer and ordered the oils and filters. I ordered CAT TDTO SAE 30 oil initially as they don’t stock in OZ a 20 weight. (Justification for the 30w: it is often in the high 30 degC to low 40’s here. Hot, dam hot!) After the recent go-slow-escapades and reading a bit more I have now rung back and changed the order to a lighter 10 weigh of TDTO…?? Maybe it is just a viscosity and filter issue. Will check the peddle adjustment when tilting the cab and lube these on dropping the cab. The middle (OH Sht!:cool2) peddle requires very little movement to stop the machine so will pay special attention here. How much play should the middle peddle have? Is there any other major tricks with the cab tilt and hydrostatic/pump fluid/filter changes?
2. Hydraulics. What weight hydraulic oil? Previous owner has 68 in it. CAT has recommended HYDRO ADV 10w.??... Do I go with the 10w?? It is an older machine and has a few slight drips from the rams and bucket 4in1. I am a bit worried the 10w will pour out in comparison to the 68’s tolerable drip.
3. I have just ordered as well a CTek MTX14, 24 volt charger. Anyone had much luck with these?
4. Track adjustment appears OK at present. How much sag is acceptiable?
I am looking at keeping this machine for as long as practicable on my farm in Oz. I don't plan to do huge amounts of work strait off and hopefully the older non-ECU/electronics machine will serve me well over the next many years... Cheers!