• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 955K TURNS over but wont run.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I know what you mean K.. but that's all we can do.. is assume..
40.00.. that's a case of beer, some fireworks and a cheap steak.. on a holiday.. lol
Happy New Year, fellas..

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I'm sure you've already checked this but does your engine have a decompression lever that could have been activated? On my 977H there's a small lever on the back of the cylinder head. I'm just thinking this since you said that there's no effect when you give it a whiff of ether...

Themaskman72

Ok here's an update, glow plugs are shot so I'm going tomorrow if it rains and grab a new set along with a new wiring harness. I drained all the fuel, removed the fuel line and flushed it out. Tossed the old fuel filter and replaced it after filling it with fresh diesel. Engine still turns over but doesn't crank. Although now I am getting white smoke out of the exhaust as it turns over so I'm assuming things are getting better.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Ok here's an update, glow plugs are shot so I'm going tomorrow if it rains and grab a new set along with a new wiring harness. I drained all the fuel, removed the fuel line and flushed it out. Tossed the old fuel filter and replaced it after filling it with fresh diesel. Engine still turns over but doesn't crank. Although now I am getting white smoke out of the exhaust as it turns over so I'm assuming things are getting better.

White smoke out the stack while cranking is a very good sign, means there is a 90% or better chance that the pump and injectors are working at least a little! Did you happen to sniff the smoke? Did it burn your eyes a little like it should?

Any chance you could set up a camera/cellphone to record what it does after you heat the new glow plugs for a couple of minutes then hit the stater? I'm expecting a lot of nasty soot and smoke for a couple minutes!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
A little late in the piece but better late than never ..........

By the sounds of it you're getting somewhere now that you have smoke coming out of the chimley. Maybe now would be a good time to look at the batteries, cables, & connections right the way to the starter to make sure that it's actually spinning the motor over at the speed it ought to. Increasing the cranking RPM by something like 10-20 RPM could probably be all it needs now to light the fires. Oh, and BTW a fully-charged 12v battery should register close to 13v (12.8v IIRC) if it's in good shape. Try having someone put a meter on each battery in turn while you're cranking the starter and see what they are turning out voltage-wise when they are under load.

Themaskman72

The smoke did burn my eyes a little and smelled like an old car that's been in a barn and burning old gas when it fires up. (Best way I can explain it) I'm changing glow plugs tomorrow and the wiring harness to make sure that's not an issue any further. The thought did cross my mind about not getting enough cranking rpms out of the batteries. I think that because they are holding 11 volts that they are good and the problem may be that all I have to charge them is a car charger and may require something bigger.

CavinJim

Themaskman72, I just purchased the older brother of your machine (mine is 85J1360). When I went to look at it, it had been sitting for about 6 months (and had sat for a year before that). They had charged up the batteries and I checked all the fluids before cranking. Two minutes on the glow plugs and she puffed out about two puffs and started right up! A couple of minutes later the other owner showed up and we raised the boom and locked it to get a better look at some things. I shut the engine down as I didn't want to be mucking about under the hood with it running. Went to start it back up and didn't give it enough time on the preheat as well as forgot to put the fuel lever to start. Cranked it a few seconds before realizing and correcting the fuel mistake, cranked a few more times, no smoke, and the batteries were already too low. Not enough RPM. They connected the large 24V charger and we gave it about 20 mins before trying again--successfully. Just goes to show you how sensitive they are to those batteries being full-up! The compression of the air in the cylinder as the piston rises is what heats it above the ignition point of the diesel. If that piston goes up too slowly, too much heat is lost to the cold block and head! If you start with cold air, your done for. Sounds like you are close, but be sure it spins fast enough. I have that same problem on my two diesel tractors which don't have preheat. Best of luck!

Themaskman72

Thanks Jim, that's great information especially when you pretty much have the same machine and it Sat for a while. This confirms exactly what the other guys here have been telling me about making sure the batteries are up enough and how important the glow plugs are to this machine. I am so glad to be a part of this forum and hope I can pay it forward. Thanks and I will have an update after charging the batteries and fixing the glow plugs.

Delmer

A prechamber engine WITHOUT working glow plugs will absorb more heat from the engine compression than a direct injection diesel will. The whole reason they make prechambers and glow plugs is to make the engine start easier and run smoother, but the design is worse for starting if the GP's aren't working.

The smell sounds like stale fuel, once you get fresh fuel out the injectors it will start easier than the stale stuff. Holding 11V is not enough, any battery that you charge up and it's not at least 12.5 a day later is complete junk. 11v is not 80% or 50%, it's recycle time. If this is a 12V system, it should start on a decent warm car battery, just give it plenty of time to charge up between short cranks.

AllDodge

I need to work on my linkage but manage to get it fired up anyway. I take the throttle handle and pull it back kind of hard, it only goes back so far. This is the spot where the dedent is and the fuel is allowed to flow. Sometimes when it has sat for a while, I have to keep some pressure pulling it to the rear to get it to fire. My guess is the pump needs some work and the flow spot is not quite where it needs to be. Once the engine fires up the handle can be moved further back and rpms increased

tctractors

The throttle is pin locked (Pegged) until the oil pressure is raised, you might have other issues?
tctractors.

Themaskman72

Ok so here's where I am after today. Got the new glow plugs and installed them. Checked the volts on the glow plug supply wire while holding the heat switch on and was getting 25.2 volts. Attached it to the glow plug wiring harness and was getting 25.2 volts at each terminal. Attached harness to the New glow plugs and with the heat switch on voltage dropped to 22.4 volts. Held the heat for 2 mins and turned it over but still no start. Getting bigger puffs of smoke but no running yet. Had battery charger on batteries the whole time. I think the batteries are done. Gonna grab a couple more and go from there.

AllDodge

Do you think its turning over around fast enough? If it gets good and cold (everyone will holler) but I remove the intake top off the pre-filter, and while its cranking over I hit it with some either. I don't spray it straight in, I'm sitting in the seat. hold can just at my chest and I spray it over the top of the pre-filter intake.

Delmer

I think you're close and you just need new fuel to the injectors. Too late now, but in hindsight you could have cranked it over with the lines loose at the injectors and the glow plugs out to purge the old fuel from the lines. Fresh #1 diesel and heating up the block will help it start. 80 hours on it might not even be enough to break in the engine, so you're at a disadvantage there too. 25.2 is 12.6 per battery if they're even, that's worth checking. The voltage drop at the glow plugs is normal because they draw so much amps. Hopefully the batteries stayed closer to 25v with the GP's on. If these batteries were in the machine sitting for 2 years, they'd be a miracle to still be in good shape.

oarwhat

Do you think its turning over around fast enough? If it gets good and cold (everyone will holler) but I remove the intake top off the pre-filter, and while its cranking over I hit it with some either. I don't spray it straight in, I'm sitting in the seat. hold can just at my chest and I spray it over the top of the pre-filter intake.

I wouldn't do that with while using the glow plugs!! My old 988 when it got really cold like below 10 degrees Fahrenheit we had to use ether and no glow plugs. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I'd ether it and it will start and clear out the old fuel.

AllDodge

I wouldn't do that with while using the glow plugs!! My old 988 when it got really cold like below 10 degrees Fahrenheit we had to use ether and no glow plugs. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I'd ether it and it will start and clear out the old fuel.

Agree, I don't do it with glow plugs, only (to keep it short) if other things are not working out

That said I think there may be other issues because OP said he used a can of either and nothing

Themaskman72

I definitely feel like it's not turning over fast enough. My truck wouldn't even think about starting at that pace. I tried to revive those batteries but think it was a failure. I found them remanned for 160/ea so gonna go that direction so I can check that off the list.

tctractors

It might be worth slackening off the injector lines at the tips, then with the throttle in the shut off position pump the fuel primer, you don't have to as the fuel will self bleed, this will just remove any doubt about all injectors being fuel primed.
tctractors

Delmer

160 each sounds high, are those huge 8t size or something like that? Somebody here suggested going to your local truck dealer and buying the 750 CCA in either post or threaded stud terminal, whichever you need. The logic being, they sell a lot of batteries so they're fresh, a standard size so a better price, and the 750 amp lasts a lot longer than the higher CCA's because it has thicker plates, more room or whatever.

AllDodge

I would suggest buying from CAT, bought some from NAPA which didn't hold up. Always thought CAT would be to high, but their maintenance free 8D battery was cheaper then NAPA and far better made

Edit: your correct Nige they are 4D

Last edited: