• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 951c getting hot

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Dagnabbit. This thread is going sideways. We need a serial number. This ol’e 951C is hot and bothered and it needs fixed, ASAP.

Or, before long, we’ll be talking about blown cylinder head gaskets and cracked pre-cup chambers and other mayhem.

Garrison Cook

Aftermarket, ah?
Like from Walmart or a quality unit from ISSPRO or Murphy?

I would not trust the accuracy of the replacement gauge until verified. Been there & done that. Learned the hard way.
I got this guage from Autozone. Had the same one on a skid steer that I used to have.

Garrison Cook

Dagnabbit. This thread is going sideways. We need a serial number. This ol’e 951C is hot and bothered and it needs fixed, ASAP.

Or, before long, we’ll be talking about blown cylinder head gaskets and cracked pre-cup chambers and other mayhem.
Ok here is the S/N 69H4866. Yes thanks for all the help!! Just spent $6700 on rebuild and dont want it to blow something else

Coaldust

Occupation
Roger that. Let’s take a couple measurements today, (after you install the regulator).

Beg, borrow or steal a infrared thermometer.

Next, get her warmed up. Work her until the regulator opens up. You can tell, because the top radiator hose will get hot when the water starts going to the radiator.

First, record the temp reading of the dash gauge. Go to the engine and use the infrared thermometer to take a reading at the gauge sending unit.

Next, Measure the temp at the regulator housing and then at the lower radiator hose where it connects to the water pump.

Watch the fan! Watch the belts! Be careful. And report back.

Garrison Cook

Roger that. Let’s take a couple measurements today, (after you install the regulator).

Beg, borrow or steal a infrared thermometer.

Next, get her warmed up. Work her until the regulator opens up. You can tell, because the top radiator hose will get hot when the water starts going to the radiator.

First, record the temp reading of the dash gauge. Go to the engine and use the infrared thermometer to take a reading at the gauge sending unit.

Next, Measure the temp at the regulator housing and then at the lower radiator hose where it connects to the water pump.

Watch the fan! Watch the belts! Be careful. And report back.
Ok Will do. I am waiting on CAT to get back to me on the regulator. As far as the fan and belts go, belts and fan are new, However the fan is blowing out instead of sucking in, is that correct?

Coaldust

Occupation
I think that fan is reversible. Air flow direction may not make a difference in our troubleshooting, at this point of the process. Good to note.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I think that fan is reversible. Air flow direction may not make a difference in our troubleshooting, at this point of the process. Good to note.
If it is in fact a reversible fan make real sure all the blades are locked in and pushing or pulling the same way. Had a D333 or maybe a 3306 in a 966C loader that was overheating and found the problem was someone missed one blade while reversing them!

Bluox

Ok Will do. I am waiting on CAT to get back to me on the regulator. As far as the fan and belts go, belts and fan are new, However the fan is blowing out instead of sucking in, is that correct?
Almost every front engine track loader I have seen had a pusher fan, after you run one awhile you will see why.
Bob

Last edited: