• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 950H giving jerks

mymachine

Hi
I have a CAT 950H and it gives heavy jerk with metal sound when brake is released while moving, i serviced front differential, front drive line is replaced. Any body there who had same problem and has any solution please help....

mymachine

First i felt like the sound is from front differential so i opened it and found 2 sun gears of spider is cracked and right side big ring gear was cracked too so i replaced and oil i use is 80 w 90 coz my machine has clocked 20000 hrs so i thought thick oil will be better coz of increased clearance after 20000 hrs.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
You'e fooling yourself on the oil. 80W/90 EP oil is exactly the same viscosity as what the manual recommends which is SAE50 TO-4. They are measured on two different viscoisty scales which is why the numbers come out different. EP oil will rot the silicone rubber in the Troic Rings of the wheel seals, so be warned.

I think a disassenbly of the brakes might be in order to see what sort of a state they are in. Remember that the brakes share the same oil as the differential. For more "how to" information regarding the brakes, post the machine Serial Number.

Last edited:

mymachine

My machine serial no is. JJAD00937.
U mean i should stop using 80 w90? Ok, but why the jerk ? Tell me something regarding jerk....

The Peej

I think a disassembly if the brakes might be in order to see what sort of a state they are in. Remember that the brakes share the same oil as the differential. For more "how to" information regarding the brakes, post the machine Serial Number.

Inspect the brakes, that could be where your problem is

Nige

My machine serial no is. JJAD00937.
U mean i should stop using 80 W90?
Yes - you should use an SAE50 oil meeting Cat TO-4 specification plus 0.5L of 1U-8981 Oil Additive in each axle. That is an anti-squeal additive for the brakes.

Tell me something regarding jerk....
Disassemble the brakes and I'm reasonably sure that you will find the reason for the jerk. Most likely with 20,000 hours the friction discs are worn out and what you have no is metal-on-metal grabbing which will cause a jerk.

Note: To disassemble the brakes will require the complete axle to be removed from the machine and stood in a vertical position. The brake assembly has to come off in an upwards direction. Then after reassembling the first brake pack the axle should be turned with the other end facing upwards and repeat the process for the second brake pack.

Last edited:

mymachine

I did the same process , full assembly was removed and friction plates are almost ok..now ?

Nige

All you said previously was that you "opened the differential", not "I disassembled the whole front axle including the brakes and found the friction discs are in good shape". I know that the differential can be removed from this particular axle without complete disassembly, so what was I to assume from your statement..?
Please give good information if you want assistance to save us all time.

In that case, change the oil for 80W/90 EP to SAE50 TO-4 and use the anti-squeal additive I mentioned above. See where it gets you.

A question. Has the jerk got worse over time or did it just appear suddenly..? Are you sure you found and replaced all the damaged parts in the front differential..?

mymachine

Exactly u cant open only differencial in CAT 950H( in our country the whole thing is call differential) sorry...

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Attached is the pages on changing the oil. Scroll down to the last page and read item #6.

I know from personal experience on other Cat loaders with these wet brakes if not using the additive it will sound like things are very bad inside the axle.

Then again it is still possible there is a major problem but I would not even think of trouble shooting it till you put correct oil and additive in the axles!

Attachments

• 950H differential oil change.pdf
    274.3 KB · Views: 6

mymachine

I removed the front drive line to check it gives the same jerk and sound on removing rear also same thing so i m thinking of servicing the transmission,can u help me with transmission service manual?

heymccall

My Deeres will do that when driveshaft slop is excessive. On my Deeres, it's usually the front slip joint (splines), but ocassionally, I'll find a worn out universal joint.

Nige

Diagnosing symptoms is always a lottery. Is there any chance you can video the loader while it is making the noise and post the video to Youtube then link it here..?

Also even if you remove either the front or rear driveline (I assume you mean drive shaft.?) you still have the brakes holding on the axle where you removed the drive shaft. So when the brakes are released, even if there is no drive shaft attached to the axle, you could still get symptoms.

As Hmc said above, inspect the drive shafts carefully to ensure that the sliding joints don't have excessive play in them.

Last edited:

mymachine

My staff has sent me some videos after removing both drive lines, i m attaching links here.
My site is around 500 oks far so i ll be going tomorrow, will update til l than check the YouTube links...

Nige

I understand the difficulty especially when you are also not there with the machine.

Were the first two tests in the videos made with both the front drive shaft and the rear drive shaft disconnected..? The first two videos I think both shafts must have been disconnected but I'm not sure how they were stopping the transmission output unless it was with the parking brake.

It's hard to see in the last video looking under the machine whether or not the rear drive shaft is connected, although it appears to be because the rear wheels are moving.

Maybe reinstall all the drive shafts and take another video..?

Last edited: