• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 924H Heater issue

Snowman181

Hello!
I purchased a used 2009 Cat 924H loader which has around 6,000 hours on it. I'm using it to push snow this winter. We used it for the first time on Thursday/Friday and everything worked perfectly. I shut it off that night, shut the master off, and plugged the block heater in. Saturday I go to start it and it starts right up but there is no heat or air. This model has a rocker switch with 3 settings, defrost, off, and AC; nothing was coming on. It has a separate rocker switch with 3 fan speed settings as well. I checked the fuses and they were all good. At this point i'm thinking it is a switch. This morning I go to start it up and still nothing is working. Then all of a sudden the defrost kicks on and everything is working as it should. I went out and plowed for 3 hours with no issues. Once I got back I tried playing with the switch and the wires under the switch to see if I could get it to stop again; then I would know it was a bad switch or loose wire coming into the switch. I couldn't get it to stop.

I also noticed that the radio was not on and wouldn't turn on. It has worked perfectly before. Then all of a sudden it started working.

Not sure if anyone else has had a similar issue or not ?
I was thinking of maybe there being a loose wire. But you would think it would quick working after the bumpy ride through town.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Post a Serial Number and you can have an electrical schematic to assist in your investigations.
By the symptoms it could be a loose connection, condensation in a wiring harness connector, a failing wire somewhere, or a dozen other possibilities.

DB2

Does that model have a continuous duty solenoid to operate the cab power? They tend to freeze up causing similar symptoms.

Snowman181

Does that model have a continuous duty solenoid to operate the cab power? They tend to freeze up causing similar symptoms.
I guess I am not sure. I am a bit green when it comes to heavy equipment in terms of "mechanics". That would make sense possibly being that it worked all day and sat overnight then didn't work.

DB2

If you check the schematic Nige sent you follow the power distribution to the cab. There will be a heavy wire in and a heavy wire out with one or two smaller operating wires. A quick shot with a heat gun when its acting up should do the trick.

Snowman181

If you check the schematic Nige sent you follow the power distribution to the cab. There will be a heavy wire in and a heavy wire out with one or two smaller operating wires. A quick shot with a heat gun when its acting up should do the trick.

Is this the connection point you're talking about ?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    309.5 KB · Views: 9