• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 924 G not enough traction

GerryBR

Hello!
My wheel loader lost traction, when it needs power. Before wheels were spinning on any ground, now in full accelaration, wheels do not spin anymore... What can be wrong before openning the transmition? Oil level is ok. Thanks for professional advice!

Gerry

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You are providing a pretty limited description of what is happening. A serial number might help. Is the transmission overheating? What is the condition of the tires? How old and how many hours are on the machine. Have there been any repairs done to the machine recently? Are there any fault codes indicated on the monitor panel? What is the machine being used for, load and carry, loading pit run, charging a processing plant or loading trucks?

DARO

Occupation
Mechanic
One more question.. is it blowing black smoke? Or any smoke? That gen cat has a fuel filter that dosent take much junk to plug it up.. mostly though need more info to give thoughts..

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
When I was in the trade a loader hand spinning tires would get his azz bit and if he kept it up he was down the road kickin' a horse apple.
Mike

GerryBR

hello John and Daro,
thanks for answers. Machine Id. is AAN00536. Transmission´s temperature is ok. Torque coverter oil level I checked and it is also ok, when machine is running, the oil stays between the range. Converters oil filter I also changed, but not with Caterpillar´s brand, just put a lower quality oil filter, I don´t know, if it matters anyhow? About hours I can´t say, it shows 3500 hours, but that is not real, machine has more hours. The machine I use on our farm, it does all kind of works. I noticed low traction at full accelaration, when I tried to push a tree over... I would like to know, if there is any ajustment at the torque converter´s oil pump to provide more power to the transmission with less accellaration? The engine is ok, no smoke at all.

Thanks for your replies!
Gerry

Delmer

Do you have a tachometer, and is the engine running as full speed when it the machine stops moving? or does the engine slow down?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Have you checked the fuel system on the engine to make sure it is getting all the fuel it needs. No smoke can also mean not enough fuel is getting to the engine.

Delmer

hello Delmer,
the engine keeps full rpm, no slow down.
Thanks, I'm guessing John didn't see your response.

One more thing before we say the torque converter and/or transmission is slipping. Does the machine slow down more than it used to when loading something more normal, like sand or gravel? When pushing a tree, especially if you have the bucket high for leverage on the stump, the angle will put more weight on the wheels to it won't spin the tires like it would pushing at ground level.

You're probably looking at a bad torque converter or transmission, but I don't know what to tell you about those, and just wanted to get the other possibilities out of the way. As far as I know, there are no adjustments that will fix this, but there are pressure tests that should be done before taking it apart.

GerryBR

Hello,

another doubt came to my mind. Does the Caterpillar 924G, year 2000, has an intelligent power distribribution control, so that the power is directed where it is momentaneously more needed, like the boom, steering, transmission? I ask, because the hydraulic oil hose from the steering was not tight enough and the main oil reservoir behind the cabine is under level. Could that be interfering the torque converter?

Thanks for helps!
Gerry

Bruno97

olá, tenho um carregador 924G que está tirando meu sono. máquina fria, tenho pressão de bomba de 300 psi em marcha lenta. pressão p1 - p2 - p3 abaixo do especificado. após 20 minutos de trabalho, a pressão da bomba cai para 80 psi. máquina perde toda a potência na transmissão. abrimos e trocamos todos os selos e consertamos a bomba. Não sei mais o que olhar. alguma dica?

Attachments

• IMG_8231.png
    IMG_8231.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 0

Bruno97

hello, I have a 924G loader that is taking my sleep. cold machine I have 300psi pump pressure at idle. p1 - p2 - p3 pressure below specified. after 20 minutes work, pump pressure drops to 80psi. machine loses all power in transmission. we open and change all seals and repair the pump. I don't know what else to look at. any tips?

Attachments

• IMG_8231.png
    IMG_8231.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 3

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Attached is the System Operation document for the power train of your 924G.
Have you checked the operation of the flow control valve #1 and the differential pressure relief valve #3.?

Se adjunta el documento de operación del sistema para el tren de potencia de su 924G. ¿Ha revisado el funcionamiento de la válvula de control de flujo #1 y la válvula de alivio de presión diferencial #3?

Attachments

• Trans Hyd System.pdf
    343.6 KB · Views: 4

Bruno97

hello nige, how are you? I disassembled the valve group to see if I saw anything strange. I have no experience. apparently no scratches or damaged parts. From the posted image, is the flow valve located on the transmission housing?