• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 563E will not start

Bala

It failed to start after sitting for a week,

fuel to Injector pump appears ok, has an emergency stop at the back and power goes through that and activates the relays? ect in the cab, winds over well but no hint of starting or smoke out the exhaust, done 2000hrs, apparently it would not start one time before that but then it did, I have 24v power on 2 of the 6 pins at the injector pump.

I almost? had access to cat online service data but not yet,

Do the fuel cut solenoids on these pumps fail often? or any other tips?

DSC00308.JPG

JDOFMEMI

I had one of these, and had the fuel shut off solenoid fail 2 times in about 2 years or so. That would be my first suspect.

Bala

Hi guys, wow no reply for a month then three in a day.

I have been trying unsuccessfully to get an account opened with Cat for 6 months, partly so I could access the service info online. I only really have email forcontatcting people where I am and i have trouble getting replys when i want to buy parts let alone getting a reply when I just want info!!

I went home for 3 weeks leaving instruction to my boys that I was waiting on info to test the electrics on this before going any further. I come back to find they had not waited, or only until i left, had determined it was a faulty lift pump, ordered and fitted a new one, had run the batteries flat once already and were charging them up to try again.

I found online a couple of sets of tests for this pump/engine for testing fail to start problems. Exactly what I was looking for.

So all the electric tests i could do showed that the electricals were fine.

I took off an injector line and found there was fuel coming out the pump when I wound the engine over. I then found that with an injector line off when I pump the lift pump fuel comes out the injector pump. The only fuel going to the injectors is from the lift pump pressure. So fuel from the lift pump is simply pumping straight through the injector pump.

Is this the major failure i think it is or can i repair it on site.

Cheers

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I had one of these, and had the fuel shut off solenoid fail 2 times in about 2 years or so. That would be my first suspect.

I have a 533E and haven't had that problem but I would wager they run different engines. It's an '04 with 2k hours on it. Although I do have a small leak at my injection pump, not big enough to warrant a shop bill yet.

Bala

Based on what I know of your location and the skills available to you I'd say you need the services of a fuel injection pump shop and I'm sure that you don't have one of those locally.

I have sent two pumps to a shop in this country since I have been here, they had three goes at one and i am still not 100% happy with it. the other, a standard old cav pump ran fine for a week then the engine was filling with fuel. I was about to send it back but checked the shaft nut holding the drive gear on was loose.

I will either send this one back to Australia or just buy a new one.

I finish here in 3 weeks so I am on a daily countdown now!!

Bala

This may well be the problem. On page 10 and 11 of the link it shows the system working. Its looks to me if the shut off solenoid does not close then no pressure can build up.
I said i had fuel pumping straight through the injector pump. It just so happened that when the engine stopped last it was timed to the cylinder of the line I removed.

http://www.urumecanica.com/manualesdemecanica/Caterpiller/3054-6E.swf

Bala

It would appear that this is the problem.

The info in this http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=466490

2. Metering solanoid failure
IF this happens the engine will stop. This usually happens suddenly without warning. It can be confusing as to what the problem is because if the injector pipe union is cracked open, diesel will still come out. Its just not under enough pressure to cause the injector to open.

Bala

I have been gone from the job with this roller for a few months now but wanted to share the outcome.

I ordered in and fitted a new fuel cut of solenoid and no different.

I had exhausted all tests and info I could get hold off. I did find some info online that said that a faulty pump ecu would cause the same problem as faulty solenoid so after consultation with a pump repair shop and satisfied I had done all I could I pulled the pump off and sent it away, ( then left the job!)

But I have just found out the wire from the psg have no insulation causing a fault, I have no idea what the psg is, just that these wires are in the pump. So I am glad that there was a fault in the pump!

These pumps are fitted to lots of vehicles, the cat loader where I work now has one, my nissan navara has one etc etc.