• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 426c Backhoe billowing white smoke oil in exhaust

CARL7

CAT 426c Backhoe billowing white smoke
oil blows out of the exhaust stack
engine running on engine oil and over revving
just bought to fix need help to diagnose
:confused:

Blueboy

Occupation
Machinist. God bless America ! ! !
Compression test would be my #1
Maybe someone overdosed it with starting fluid.

Welcome to the forum:)

CARL7

ok will be on to that first thing in the morning ! cheers for the welcome:) it has massive amounts of oil soaking the engine bay .... no starting fluid used , the turbo was replaced 100 hours as the old one was dusted he had the local cat guy replace it cost the old feller a arm and a leg to. so kind of left scratching my head at the moment . oil return line? cooee cober

hetkind

ok will be on to that first thing in the morning ! cheers for the welcome:) it has massive amounts of oil soaking the engine bay .... no starting fluid used , the turbo was replaced 100 hours as the old one was dusted he had the local cat guy replace it cost the old feller a arm and a leg to. so kind of left scratching my head at the moment . oil return line? cooee cober

Step one is to get the engine bay CLEAN...while a steam genny is the gold standard, I have often run an engine until warm, then a generous amount of simple green, then pressure washed, and repeated as necessary, of course blocking the intake and exhaust, and trying to avoid your belts up front.

Once it is clean, then you can look for leaks, but a compression test would probably be most useful to start.

My best guess is that engine is going to need attention to the dynamic components.

Howard

NCHeavyDiesel

Also may want to check to see how much oil is actually in the crankcase. Could be way overfilled. Also check for restricted oil return line from turbo or oil in intake tract. Rule out the simple first.

CARL7

cat 426

thanks Howard I have given it a good wash down ,and I mean a good wash taken the paint off in places . I am prepared to rebuild the whole motor but would like to diagnose what is wrong so I don't rebuild the engine then find out that it was the turbo

CARL7

NCheavydiesel when I picked her up I put oil in it to fire her up 7 ltrs made it level up to the line on the dip stick . intake tract you mean air or feed line oil ? air intake is clean no oil

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
If you can get the air hoses off the intake side of the turbo you should be able to see if the oil is coming in from the turbo. Either a blocked turbo drain line , plugged engine breather or failing turbo seals would be my guess.

NCHeavyDiesel

Like mobiletech said.....those are really your three likely areas to check. If that much oil is getting into the cylinders and the engine is trying to run away my bet is on turbo seals also. But excessive crankcase pressure via a plugged vent tube can cause it too.

hookedondiesel

If it hasn't "runaway" yet on you, it may have with the previous owner, very hard on an engine. You should have a board (plank) ready just in case so you can cover the air intake to stop it. Hows the water level in the rad, it does sound like water is getting into the cylinders causing white smoke. Could also be a blown head gasket if it overheated previously.
As stated, the oil problem could be the turbo. Check your rad and also see if theres water in the oil.

CARL7

Thanks for all the advice in regards to my cat426 bacjhoe the turbo was fried ,replaced new air filter oil and fuel filters but has lost power loadingup bucket and generally speaking.still looking to solve why it blew the turbo up and try to find a solution compresion is fair for age ????:cool:

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Post #3 tells me a lot.. if the turbo was dusted.. more than likely the engine IS TOO..
All you gotta do is remove the oil fill cap while its running to determine that.. LOTS OF SMOKE??
How about outta the vent pipe??
What was the compression?? anything under 300 psi and its toast..