• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 416c Backhoe Loader. Where to get front bucket cutting edge?

ddiiggy

Buy from dealer? Aftermarket?
Edge is getting worn down almost to the bucket.

What is on there is two pieces, bolted on. I don't know if two piece is OEM or aftermarket.
I looked around on the net a little bit and it looks like two piece might be standard.
The couple of places that I saw were selling them as SINGLE pieces - have to buy two.
Why would anyone ever want to replace just one?

I think that the cutting edge has been turned around, but suddenly right now I am not remembering if that was this machine or something else...
Is that normal to turn it around and use the other edge or does it need the extra support or something?

The top ends of the bolts and the nuts are worn and dinged a bunch.
I expect it will be just easier to torch the nut off and put in new ones instead of trying to twist them off.
Are the bolts anything special - Hard or not so hard?
If I do find out that I can turn the cutting edge around, should I put in grade 8 bolts or are they brittle and I should use grade 5?

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
The bolts are like a carriage bolt. Round head with a square shank. You can reuse them most of the time if you are just flipping edges.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I think the cutting edge is in 2 pieces as standard and it is designed to be reversible, thus giving it 2 lives. Lift up the bucket and check to see if the back side of it is worn the same way as the front. If so that means it was turned before and so now will have to be replaced. If not you can get a 2nd life out of the edges by turning them.

Whether it needs turning or replacing it will need new hardware IMHO. You'd waste more time trying to get the old hardware apart than you'd save. The bolts are plow bolts, they have a square under a round head so that the bolt can grip into a square hole in the cutting edge. They are generally grade 8.

If you want some part numbers for edges and hardware find the part number of the bucket. It should be on a plate located on the top RH corner of the back side of the bucket as you look at it from the cab.

Last edited:

Delmer

If you have a farm store nearby you can probably get plow bolts for around $4/lb. If you really like to play with the torch you can wash the nut off and reuse the bolt, but only if you really like to play.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Buy from dealer? Aftermarket?
Edge is getting worn down almost to the bucket.

What is on there is two pieces, bolted on. I don't know if two piece is OEM or aftermarket.
I looked around on the net a little bit and it looks like two piece might be standard.
The couple of places that I saw were selling them as SINGLE pieces - have to buy two.
Why would anyone ever want to replace just one?

Some times one will get broke if abused, Also the same sections may be used in combination with other sizes to fit different applications. And making them in two sections can allow some flex in bucket without the edge breaking.

I would vote for new hardware unless you have nothing better to do with your time. I also like to use hardened steel washers under the nuts, feel it gives a bit better surface for tightening the nuts and if you need to torch the nuts off next time much less chance of nicking the base edge with the torch that could cause a stress riser that would lead to the base edge breaking.

Depending on application and operator sometimes we do not find it worth while to rotate edges on our front end loaders. I do have a 980G that has had the edges rotated and is due this week for new edges that should be in in a couple days.

Dickjr.

These cutting edges really aren't that expensive through a dealer. Probably get both edges and bolts for 75 to 100$ . I couldn't use the old bolts back as they were worn on an angle.

ddiiggy

The few places I found online were about $130 X 2 = $260 + s&h.
I will get the part number of the bucket and find out for sure.
Check the dealer.
I wasn't sure if there were some better suppliers instead of dealer...

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
We have a couple of 420s here. I'm not sure if the cutting edges are the same as a 416, maybe the 420 bucket is larger, but dealer price for 2 edges plus all the hardware (8 bolts, nuts, & washers) to install them is a total of $340.