• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 416B Backhoe Oil Filter Alternatives

CWBox411

Hello All,
I just purchased a 1995 Caterpillar 416B Backhoe this past Friday. It currently has a WIX 51806 oil filter. Do any of you know if this is a viable alternative, or do you have any other alternatives that you have been using? I hate to sound cheap, but I don't want to keep paying $50 for a $15 to $20 oil filter just because it's painted yellow and says "Caterpillar" if there are alternatives that are equally good.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I just purchased a 1995 Caterpillar 416B Backhoe this past Friday. It currently has a WIX 51806 oil filter.
This is the equivalent to an OEM Cat filter P/N 7W-2327.

Don't discount Cat. I know that in your area Thompson Tractor have regular promotions on OEM-branded oils & filters that price them the same as what you'd pay at the local auto parts store.

If you want a good alternative to OEM, Donaldson is as good a filter brand as any. The Donaldson equivalent to 7W-2327 is Part Number P554403.

I've said this many times before and I'll say it again. Good quality oil and filters are the cheapest insurance policy you can buy for a machine.

Jaz10965

I use Napa Gold filters in all the equipment i maintain. Napa Gold are Wix filters.
We also had A 416B Serial started with 8SG and these are the filters I used
Oil: 1806(short)
1459(long)
Air out: 6232
Air in: 6251
Fuel: 3546
Hyd: 1730
Trans: 7116

Mobilewrench

I tend toward using cat filters on cat machines. But that is mostly due to convenience.
In all honesty, I have no problem using name brand aftermarket filters. Wix, Donaldson and Fram are all primarily in the filtration business. I tend to believe they know what they are doing.

CWBox411

Thanks so much for your replies. The local Caterpillar dealer was having a sale on oil and filters, so I actually got their stuff cheaper than the alternatives! Good timing I guess.

AzIron

I buy 1459 napa golds 10 at a time but I have 4 machines that use them I pay in the high 20s for them