• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 308 Opinions

CooterBrown

Looking at an 8 ton machine. How does the Cat compare too Kubota and Takeuchi in digging ability. The machine I am looking at is a 2012

0u812

I feel like they are underpowered. I like the mustang/gehl, Takeuchi, and Volvo machines myself.

CooterBrown

I feel like they are underpowered. I like the mustang/gehl, Takeuchi, and Volvo machines myself.

The Cat has the best aux hyd flow in this class and it will run my mulching head thats why I am considering it but I need it too dig in this hard Ga clay also.

0u812

I too am in ga. Specifically west ga so I know exactly what you mean. If looking for a 7 to 8 metric ton machine I really like the Takeuchi tb175, kubota builds a good one too, but also The komatsu pc78, mustang/gehl 8003. One of my buddies was the service manager at yancey and he told me many customers complained of feeling under powered. If your looking specifically at aux flow then you are correct but digging power I was not impressed with the 308's and I had 4 of them.

0u812

Some people don't like Volvo machines either but I would go look at them. They are smooth running machines and have plenty of power.

drummer

Occupation
Site Contractor
Bought a CAT 308E new a year ago. Quick attach for buckets (regular and tilt) and a hi-flow cutter head. This machine is excellent for everything we ask of it. CAT may have a machine tuned to low end or mid of the hydraulic capability but will adjust per customer request. We also run 303.5 CCR, 305D, 2 - 320C (one CL, one CRR), and a 330D in our excavator group. My company is in SC.

CAT 308E.jpg

bigbob

Bought a CAT 308E new a year ago. Quick attach for buckets (regular and tilt) and a hi-flow cutter head. This machine is excellent for everything we ask of it. CAT may have a machine tuned to low end or mid of the hydraulic capability but will adjust per customer request. We also run 303.5 CCR, 305D, 2 - 320C (one CL, one CRR), and a 330D in our excavator group. My company is in SC.

View attachment 111118

I recently took delivery of a Cat 308E2 CR. Nice smooth hydraulics, easy on fuel. I wish Cat would make it available without the swing boom. With my old 307 you could crowd the bucket to the blade to help fill the bucket. With this arrangement, the bucket stays 3 feet from the blade. This is taking some getting used to. The only other complaint I have is the cab needs some more grab handles inside. Like the heated seat and the radio is awesome. Smoothest hydraulics I have ever used. This is the final Tier 4 complaint version with a DPF. I also got the hydraulic coupler and the progressive full rotation thumb.

CooterBrown

Some people don't like Volvo machines either but I would go look at them. They are smooth running machines and have plenty of power.

Volvo does not have enough Flow for them to be considered. Gehl has a high total Hyd flow but I have not been able too verify what comes outm the aux circuit.
If I am just buying the machine based on digging and Aux hyd togethor then I will get a KX080 however if the 308 is close on digging I will get it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I rented a 308E last Feb. to install some storm sewer on a tight project. I was impressed with it's power and digging ability. It lifted a 4x4 pre-cast inlet box and set it in a 5' hole, which impressed me, as we all thought it wouldn't do it.

All in all, I didn't have enough time on the machine to give a complete analysis but it did what we needed it to do and I liked it for the size machine it was.