• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 305e2cr Service Manual

motionclone

I have a new to me used Cat 305E2CR H5M with 1500hrs on the way and would like a service manual in advance to start studying things as i do my own repairs when possible and i like to do things by the book.. Ive found used ones on ebay for $600 and up and think thats crazy.

Are there any sources to get the service manual that are affordable? Ive already bought the Operation and Maint manual from cat to have on hand. Ive seen a few places online that claim they have the service manual for 45$ but not sure if thats a scam or not.
Thanks in advance!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have a new to me used Cat 305E2CR H5M with 1500hrs on the way and would like a service manual in advance to start studying things as i do my own repairs when possible and i like to do things by the book.. Ive found used ones on ebay for $600 and up and think thats crazy.
As a counterpoint to your statement above. Just my opinion. YMMV: -

1. A service manual is an asset in just the same way as the machine to which it refers. If at some future date you were to sell the excavator then you could sell the service manual separately and in all probability for close to the same price you paid for it.

2. Outside technician labour is currently selling at well North of $100/hr in an independent shop and closer to $150/hr in a dealer shop. So the manual is effectively the equivalent of 4-6 hours of technician labour. Once you're past that break-even point you're in a profit situation even if you do not count Point 1 above.

Are there any sources to get the service manual that are affordable? ..... Ive seen a few places online that claim they have the service manual for 45$ but not sure if thats a scam or not
The appropriate manual for your machine is Cat Publication UENR5696.
It currently retails new at $755 in paper form and $535 for exactly the same information in pdf format on a CD.
I cannot see anything genuine OEM for sale used at this time.

Let me attempt to shed a bit of light on service manuals and how they are constructed/assembled, etc, etc, by the OEM. The manual for an H5M machine comprises many hundreds of individual documents combined together to make the manual. There are 132 documents in the "Specifications" section alone. Some of those documents are common to other models, others could be unique to an H5M machine.

My experience of the "$45" online manuals is that the sellers go into the Cat online system and download each of those hundreds of individual documents separately in pdf format. They then try to assemble them into some sort of file system and put them on a memory stick or CD. Where you roll the dice buying one of these offerings is that you are banking on them having done their job correctly and actually downoaded ALL the relevant documents.

Last edited:

motionclone

I hear you but if i can find a usable manual for a reasonable price id rather pay that than an inflated price. I got ebay paper bobcat service manuals, Bobcat 337 and Bobcat T300 for $100 and $80 on ebay i think when the legit bobcat ones cost way more and they have worked out just fine.

Im not working on equipment for profit its just to keep and maintain my own stuff. I happen to think factory service manuals should come with everything you buy as part of the purchase of the product.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
if i can find a usable manual for a reasonable price id rather pay that than an inflated price.
The definition of "reasonble" will most likely vary between different people.

I understand your position. I was simply putting forward the counterpoint that a manual should be treated in the same way as you treat putting fuel in the machine. It's a resource and costs $$.
I happen to think factory service manuals should come with everything you buy as part of the purchase of the product.
So if you bought a brand-new personal vehicle would you expect a service manual to be included.?

Going back to your OP. You said you found used manuals for sale online. Where exactly.? Because I've looked everywhere and can't see a thing that would suit your particular H5M S/N prefix.

motionclone

Ive worked on and maintained my own equipment for 25 years now from atvs, cars, trucks, tractors, excavators, skidsteers you name it and ive never paid more than $100 for a shop manual. I dont need a name brand shop manual just one that works.

Reasonable to me is what ive had to pay in the past for similar equipment, $100.

I may very well have to buy a Genuine CAT Service Manual to do what i need to do but first i figured id try to do what ive successfully done for the last 25 years, and find a reasonably priced one since the Cat one is over priced. Im already going to be forced at some point to buy CAT parts that are overpriced. Im going to try and limit that.

If i was wrenching on equipment for a living i would look at it differently but im wrenching to keep one specific tool in my arsenal of tools in working order.

Thanks for your opinion on the matter though.