• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 305.5E2 Stuck In Rabbit?

DGODGR

I have a 2020 Cat 305.5E2 that seems to be stuck in the rabbit travel mode. Since new, the travel speed between rabbit and turtle has never been that great. At some point I noticed what seemed to be a loos of torque when trying to maneuver the machine. The indicator will switch between rabbit and turtle but there is no detectable difference in speeds. This leads me to believe that the machine may be stuck in rabbit. Could this be as simple as a fuse issue, maybe the solenoid, or is this something within the planetary? Any help would be appreciated.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
2020 or not there’s still 7 variations of 5.5E2’s. Which one is yours?

Travel speed solenoid should somewhere close to the little dome style pilot accumulator. Usually shares a valve block with the pilot shutoff solenoid. There is an update on that 2-speed solenoid. A s/n gets you wire numbers/colours to help identify it.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Did you say rabbit? Mr. Mercury Jr. is in rabbit mode, as well. He approves this message. 6D8D898F-F165-48A4-A23F-B19D45899E7A.jpeg

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Shipped with a common rail fuel system so it'll be electronic.

At the very end of the main control valve there's two solenoids next to each other. One of them has a grey (E953) and black (200) wire going to them. There should be battery voltage here whenever 2-speed is selected. Can you confirm?

DGODGR

Shipped with a common rail fuel system so it'll be electronic.

At the very end of the main control valve there's two solenoids next to each other. One of them has a grey (E953) and black (200) wire going to them. There should be battery voltage here whenever 2-speed is selected. Can you confirm?
Thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can get out there and check for voltage. When you say "whenever 2-speed is selected", are you referring to the faster speed (rabbit mode)?
Do you have an electrical schematic, and to identify which of the two possibilities are the correct one for your particular machine, is the engine electronically-controlled or not.?
I assume it does, and Chrisso seems to confirm this. It looks like he has given me the wires to check as well. What he suggests is also congruent with what I saw from a service bulletin I found while searching the 'net for this issue. It seems as though this is a common issue on E2's but not specific to the 305.5.

I'll let you guys know as soon as I have more info.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can get out there and check for voltage. When you say "whenever 2-speed is selected", are you referring to the faster speed (rabbit mode)?
Yes. I’m guessing it does because the rabbit light comes on, but best to be sure. If it checks out, pull the solenoid and check the seals. If seals ok check the resistance across the two terminals of the solenoid if you have a multimeter. Let us know what you find.

DGODGR

Now we know which flavour of engine you have would you like an electrical schematic.?
That would be great, thank you!
Sorry that I haven't posted an update yet. We have been too busy to look into the travel issue in the 305.5. I'll report back as soon as we do.