• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 289d track tensioner blew seal

bknvc1

Does anyone have the technical data for repairing the seals in the track tensioner. Looks like the seal is allowing grease to escape on the right tensioner toward the front idler wheel.

Attachments

• 1000002132.jpg
    1000002132.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

bknvc1

Seem to have an issue was hoping someone ould give a bit of insight or suggestions.

Removed track tensioner and new seals installed. Replaced and was filling with grease to tighten track. Things move a bit track started to tighten then nothing. Noticed greases coming from front desk again. Went to remove but when I was pushing in on the idler to decompress the tensioner it stopped with about 2" to go. I cannot get the track off to remove the idler.

Can the tensioner get wedged or jammed up by any chance? Looking like I might have to remove the idler wheel itself to allow enough Clarence to remove track.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Can the tensioner get wedged or jammed up by any chance? Looking like I might have to remove the idler wheel itself to allow enough Clarence to remove track.
It can. Driving back and forth a few times can help. So can running a steel bar or two through the drive motor sprocket. I usually help it by lifting up the top of the track with a forklift tyne.

Out of curiosity, how old are your tracks? I wonder if they have stretched too far causing over extension of the grease piston? Maybe a track issue. A photo of showing the extension of the front idler from the undercarriage could be worth a thousand words.

Last edited:

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Also inside your undercarriage, with the front idler and tensioner removed, what did the plate look like that the tensioner sits up against? They can punch holes through that plate if they're worn enough.