• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 287

JDecker

Hi we are looking at buying a cat 287b just wanted to get your thoughts on it we got ride of our t300 this fall and wanted to try a cat thanks for your help

terratrac300

we have a 257b and I love the suspension on it, the only problem we have had is the bearing going out of the bogie wheels, there not real hard to replace, I think the 287 is about the same , i`d look for a newer one, they changed the under carriage to a better design, but in the long and short of it the cat is the best skidsteer ( MTL ) that I have ever tried

JDecker

Thanks that was one thing that i did not like about the T300 it would shake the windows out of it on hard ground. We dont use a skidsteer much so i dont want a nother new one we are looking a 2004 that the local cat dealer has. and got a good deal on it

Stick Pro

Thanks that was one thing that i did not like about the T300 it would shake the windows out of it on hard ground. We dont use a skidsteer much so i dont want a nother new one we are looking a 2004 that the local cat dealer has. and got a good deal on it

That is about the same year our 287b is. I like the machine it rides a 1000 time better that the t300. U will be happy with this machine. Like all machines they have there problems, but i have not had any major problems with ours. Good luck

JDecker

Most guys use bobcat around here because we had a great dealer but i think they went way down hill. i just didnt know much about the cat skid steers and have always wanted to try one going to look at it tomorrow . thanks for the imput glad to here from some one who has one. It has to be good it says CAT on it:)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager

Yeah, we have a T190 that rattles like that. I told the boss he ought to advertise it as a "Vibratory Loader". :D That's one thing I like about the Cat, one heck of a good ride.

JDecker

Yeah, we have a T190 that rattles like that. I told the boss he ought to advertise it as a "Vibratory Loader". :D That's one thing I like about the Cat, one heck of a good ride.

LoL that is a fact "Bobcat Vibratory loader"
we ended up buying a 277b 2005 alot better shape and only had 900 hours on it. Very smooth Machine. thanks for all your help

Last edited by a moderator:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
LoL that is a fact "Bobcat Vibratory loader"
we ended up buying a 277b 2005 alot better shape and only had 900 hours on it. Very smooth Machine. thanks for all your help

Another thing I like about the 277B; when your in the cab operating it, even though you have the engine pegged out, the engine is actually not that noisy. Fairly quiet engine. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

jzillman

I rode a Cat just last week, was by far the best riding tracked machine I have ever rode in, the only problem I noticed was lack of power, I was very surprised to see the T-300 Bobcat blow right through the snow piles and the Cat would shy down and struggle to lift any amount of snow, the T-300 out muscled the Cat, not even close, it was very disappointing cause in the beginning I fell in love with the Cat as soon as I fired it up.

mudman

This is very interesting to read. I currently have a T300 and looking at adding a CAT to the fleet. I always hear the CAT has more power.

bonanno23

Occupation
union drainage foreman, also own a full time lands
Don't really have any experience with Bobcat but I will say the cat is fairly disappointing as far as power in my opinion.

Flexin

That is about the same year our 287b is. I like the machine it rides a 1000 time better that the t300. U will be happy with this machine. Like all machines they have there problems, but i have not had any major problems with ours. Good luck

Is the ride better because of a different/better design or is it just the thread design on the tracks? I used a John Deere CT322 the other day during a snow storm and it would rattle the windows going across the asphalt lot.

James

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Is the ride better because of a different/better design or is it just the thread design on the tracks? I used a John Deere CT322 the other day during a snow storm and it would rattle the windows going across the asphalt lot.

James

It rides better due in part to the track design which does not contain any steel cables which makes it more pliable. The tread design is not blocked like a typical CTL which improves ride quality. Also the track system is suspended and not rigid like the Deere and everyone elses CTL for that matter. The thing that I liked most was how quiet the ASV track system is. Much more pleasant to run. The cost of the smooth and nice quiet ride is a system that does not handle tough ground conditions very well. Its an expensive system to rebuild. However kept in its element they are nice to run. The other issue is they have a very low resale value. It seems all CTL's lose value more quickly than their wheeled counter parts but the MTL are worse than any other. Partly due to the high rebuild costs. Check out Iron Planet. If want a CAT its a good place to look. You will save a ton a money, but of course like any other auction, even though IP does an inspection, its a buyer beware kinda deal. Check what a new MTL sells for and compare what they are worth after 800-1000 hours and a couple years. The depreciation is very stiff.

I have found the CAT weaker than other CTL's by comparison. Bobcats largest machines make around 237 foot pounds of torque, Deere makes around 254 foot pounds, CASE is 288 foot pounds and CAT is 217 foot pounds. Not everyone needs a small dozer for a CTL/MTL so the power is kinda relative to what you need out of a machine.

Flexin

It rides better due in part to the track design which does not contain any steel cables which makes it more pliable. The tread design is not blocked like a typical CTL which improves ride quality. Also the track system is suspended and not rigid like the Deere and everyone elses CTL for that matter. The thing that I liked most was how quiet the ASV track system is. Much more pleasant to run. The cost of the smooth and nice quiet ride is a system that does not handle tough ground conditions very well. Its an expensive system to rebuild. However kept in its element they are nice to run. The other issue is they have a very low resale value. It seems all CTL's lose value more quickly than their wheeled counter parts but the MTL are worse than any other. Partly due to the high rebuild costs. Check out Iron Planet. If want a CAT its a good place to look. You will save a ton a money, but of course like any other auction, even though IP does an inspection, its a buyer beware kinda deal. Check what a new MTL sells for and compare what they are worth after 800-1000 hours and a couple years. The depreciation is very stiff.

I have found the CAT weaker than other CTL's by comparison. Bobcats largest machines make around 237 foot pounds of torque, Deere makes around 254 foot pounds, CASE is 288 foot pounds and CAT is 217 foot pounds. Not everyone needs a small dozer for a CTL/MTL so the power is kinda relative to what you need out of a machine.

Thanks for the info. I have heard great things from Cat owners about their track machines so I like to give one a try. The Deere was the first one I had a chance to use and so far i like it more then the tire skid steers. I would love to get one on a muddy lot to test it out.

Plowing with it was great. I was able to move large piles. If I hit a pile I couldn't move I just lifed the bucket 6 inches and drove over the pile taking most of the snow with me. Then I would go back for the rest.

The guy that I was operating for is testing out the tracks. He has a John Deere Series II 250 right now. I want him to test them all which means I get to test them. :) He is thinking about the Bobcat and New Holland (has anyone tried them?) now. I said he should try the Cat as well.

James

PhilD

Sorry don't mean to Hijack your thread but i can't start my own yet. I've been looking at a 2006 Cat 247B tracked machine. It rode great, but my concern is what i'm going to spent in replacement tracks. I'm having a hard time finding out what the cost of the tracks are??? anyone know?
Thanks

JDecker

Sorry don't mean to Hijack your thread but i can't start my own yet. I've been looking at a 2006 Cat 247B tracked machine. It rode great, but my concern is what i'm going to spent in replacement tracks. I'm having a hard time finding out what the cost of the tracks are??? anyone know?
Thanks

I got a price on the one we just got from Cat and with the rollers and tracks about 6000. Might get a little cheaper from some one else.

PhilD

Is that American or Canadian? typically how long to the rollers last or should they be changed when the tracks are?

MagnumB

I have been wondering the same thing about the tracks and rollers. I hear of guys getting 1000 hrs I have heard of others getting 2000 hrs and no probs with the bogies...I guess it depends on what you run it on....how you turn it (3pt turn vs. spin on a dime) and if you spray it down after playing in the mud.....for that I was thinking of trailer mounting a pressure washer and 35 gal tank just to give the tracks a quick rinse.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Ditto on the thread hijack, but it's hard not to when you can't post a thread. I don't see this being a real juvenile forum, so it's strange to require that....they could at least require fewer posts before allowing new thread postings....just me 2 cents

JDecker

we got our 277 this week i like it alot i think it is night and day to the bobcat not as much power but fine for what we need it for. It did come with a box inside of it says laser on or off and 4 other controls on it up down right left. is that for eletrice controls any one know.

Lobell355

Occupation
Property Manager
Have a CAT 277, thing is awesome. Have driven the bobcats and feel much more comfortable in the CAT.