• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 259d engine swap

Jbirky

Hello all,
I have a cat 259d that needs a new motor. I am considering doing it myself but was wondering if that’s possible if I don’t have caterpillars ET. I see some engines online come with a new ecm. Is it mandatory to put a new ecm in when you switch it out? Serial number is ftl10445. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The Part Number of a complete engine arrangement for your machine Serial Number is 345-3550, updated since your machine was built to 561-8130. Either will work.

A complete engine of the correct Arrangement Number will include the appropriate ECM. Part Number 486-2838. That engine would be a direct drop-in. For a straight swap you would not need ET.

Jbirky

I am trying to save some money by buying a rebuilt one. The tag on the top of the motor has 345-3550 on it. But I asked the guy and he said it does not come with an ecm and I don’t need a new one. His words were “it is a plug and play application”. Should I believe him or is it too risky? Thank you for your response by the way. I really appreciate it.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The tag on the top of the motor has 345-3550 on it. But I asked the guy and he said it does not come with an ecm and I don’t need a new one. His words were “it is a plug and play application”.
If it's the correct engine arrangement he is most probably correct, although to program the Serial Numbet of the replacement engine into your existing ECM would require ET. That would not stop the engine from working though.
If you don't have one already ask him for a photo of the Serial Number plate on the engine he is selling.

Also take the details from the one on your damaged engine for comparison.
You don't need to post up the photos, just compare them and share the Serial Numbers. I'm guessing yours will be 8GNxxxx, it would be interesting to know what the other one is and try to date it.

Plate should look something like this.

1682652478389.png

Jbirky

I will try to get a picture of the tag on the engine I am thinking of purchasing. The number on mine is 8GQ01xx.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
What happened to the original engine?

Jbirky

Low compression in two cylinders. Oil sample said valve damage as well. Also lots of bad noises coming from it haha. Knocks and chatters. Bought the machine from auction sight unseen. Lesson learned the hard way on this one.

Jbirky

2549 hrs. Right now it’s de-rated and flashing a light at me for frequent regens. The cat dealer told me based on the codes stored in the computer that the machine was overheated and now burns oil which has clogged up the dpf.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
The catylist has a 3000hr scheduled service that requires engine r+r. Sounds like yours will have to be either cleaned or replaced. They are around 4k to replace. You may be able to send it out to be cleaned.

Replace the drive coupling between the engine and pumps when the engine is out

Cpaine

The catylist has a 3000hr scheduled service that requires engine r+r. Sounds like yours will have to be either cleaned or replaced. They are around 4k to replace. You may be able to send it out to be cleaned.

Replace the drive coupling between the engine and pumps when the engine is out
What engine “r+r” is “required” at 3k hrs? Just curious what it calls for as I assumed it just called for a dpf clean.

I think I will clean mine with a 3” hole saw!

Jbirky

What engine “r+r” is “required” at 3k hrs? Just curious what it calls for as I assumed it just called for a dpf clean.

I think I will clean mine with a 3” hole saw!
Do you have the hookup for what’s needed to “clean” the dpf and egr? With the hole saw?