• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 257d advanced display won’t work

Koryseckel

I have a 2013 257d ezw00110 advanced display quit working tried the resetting tips I’ve seen didn’t work bought a new display and it doesn’t work either I’ve chased wires everywhere haven’t found any bad spots and all fuses in the cab are good is there any other fuses other than in the cab or any other ideas to try before I take it to the dealer thank you!

Grant Keehn

I'm having the same problem with a 2016 287D. Display went out, mechanical is fine, fuses in the cab and behind the cab are fine, but I'm leery about spending $1,200.00 on a new display to find out it's not the problem. A mobile mechanic I had out a couple months back said it could be the display or either one of the two ECM's on board. He was going to check it out and get back to me, but as of yet, nothing. In the meantime, a retired GE electrical engineer friend of mine and his electronics guru buddy offered to help me, but until now, none of us have been able to locate any wiring schematics. If someone could tell us where to get those, I'm sure they could get to the problem for both of us. Anything I learn in the meantime, I'll let you know.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Grant, Try posting a Serial Number. That will get you an electrical schematic appropriate to the actual machine you are working on.
FYI there are almost 30 different schematics out there, it's important to get the correct one.

Digressing - obviously the Advanced display is where the Diagnostic Codes and Events pop up on machines so equipped. If you're not aware already the Advanced Display is an option and is not fitted to all machines.
Without the AD there is the option to hook Cat ET up to the machine Diagnostic Connector and read the Codes/Events. If that operation showed that the Advanced Display was defective then you might save yourself a whole load of trouble trying to work from first principles.

Grant Keehn

Thanks, Nige, for your reply. I myself am not a mechanic, so it is quite the blessing when those who are share their understanding with those of us who aren't. Thank you. As for the serial number of my 2016 CAT 287D AH2, here it is ... OHMT00304. Per your reply, I'm going to reach out once again to my mobile mechanic to see if he has access to the CAT diagnostic tool you mentioned. I'd use CAT itself, except we're so rural that their hourly cost on travel time, let alone repair time, has me trying every other avenue first. Thanks again for your help.

Nige

Keep an eye on your messages, the schematic will be with you shortly. Your electronics guys may be a bit disappointed though, the Advanced Display is simply shown as a box with various wires going into/out of it. There is no detail regarding its internal workings.

If your mobile mechanic doesn't have ET, then ask him if there is another independent in your area who does.
Last throw of the dice would be to take the machine to the dealer yourself (I assume that it is currently mobile and you that have the capability to trailer it) and have them read the Codes for you while it's sat on the trailer.

Whatever resource is used to get at the Codes/Events you need to ask for a "Product Satus Report" (PSR) to be produced both immediately on connection to the machine and again after doing diagnostics and erasing any old Logged Codes that are inactive and refer to what happened in the past. Anything related to the AD will (I assume) be Active and cannot be erased until the problem is rectified, at which point they become Logged Codes.
The PSR is a pdf file that contains ALL the information from the machine. It could easily run 10+ pages so better to have it in electronic form than paper.

Nige

I have a 2013 257d ezw00110 advanced display quit working tried the resetting tips I’ve seen didn’t work bought a new display and it doesn’t work either I’ve chased wires everywhere haven’t found any bad spots and all fuses in the cab are good is there any other fuses other than in the cab or any other ideas to try before I take it to the dealer thank you!
My bad. I thought this was an old post that Grant had resurrected.
Check your messages, an electrical schematic should be waiting for you.
Other than that the same comments made to Grant in the posts above apply.

farmkid16_2002

Occupation
Diesel Tech, Welder Fabricator
Take your old one to dealership and see if they would put it on a test machine to verify it's bad?
Check wiring on machine.
It runs over CaT data link and can network twisted pair wiring. Check for 59 ohms on both twisted pairs and battery,positive 12v and good grounds!!

Grant Keehn

Ok, I promised Nige I'd update all this when it finally got resolved. Here goes ...

As you can tell, it's been a long time since I posted this. Well, I first needed someone with the CAT software to diagnose the problem. Thanks to Nige and his friends in this forum, I found an ex CAT mechanic that was now working on his own about an hour and a half from here. He agreed to come ... in 4 months! We're rural and that's just how busy these guys are. Anyhow, about 5 months later, he arrived, got the machine running in a matter of minutes and declared, "It's the display." I was thrilled it was the display and NOT the ECMs, but because I didn't just gamble and swap out the display when I first suspected it back last fall, I was without the machine several months, paid a mechanic to "officially" diagnose it, AND had the price of the display increase in the downtime by $200.00. I'm not grumbling; that's just the facts of the matter.

But that's not all ...

After a couple of weeks of using it without a hitch, once again, it wouldn't start and the screen was doing funny things. I was dumb-founded; the mechanic on the phone was dumb-founded; then I discovered that although the battery was drained, the battery and the alternator both tested good. Hmm ... "Could a vampire drain that I first suspected back 8 months ago in the stereo system have killed my first display and could it somehow be in the process now of killing my second?" (Earlier, I'd removed the removable security face of the stereo system because it wouldn't otherwise turn off. When I did, I'd thought I'd solved the vampire drain problem.)

Anyhow, the thought of the stereo still somehow draining the battery led me to take out the stereo system altogether (I didn't listen to it anyway.) With the stereo out, I then charged the battery, used the machine a little bit, and went on vacation. Weeks later ... weeks of sitting without being started ... VROOOM ... my CAT started right up. At last, I thought, "It's fixed and I can finally report back to Nige." Here's hoping I'm right. ALL the months, ALL the aggrevation ... all apparently over a silly short of some type in the sound system! Go figure.

All that said, thank you. Thank you, Nige, and everyone else for your help!

New owner first heavy equipment machine ,JST00975,299DXHP,the machine runs fine but the advanced display is blank.Can someone help me with a schematic to start troubleshooting? So far I put a new battery and the old one was completely dead (prev owner says it was only a year old but that he had not used the machine in a long time,I put it on a charger but not charging. So now I will see if there is a drain on the new battery.I noticed the radio is not powering on at all.I didn't have a diagram but on the display harness I am getting 12v on a couple wires and a bunch of like 1.3v on some ,I suspect that is not normal and that is a possibility of a short somewhere. I did some reading around here and I hope is just a wiring issue and not the display.I tried the reset procedure with no luck.Thank you

Nige

Not AFAIK. I would hazard a guess that the price of a new part does not make it attractive (not expensive enough in other words) to make it a profitable repair proposition.

There have been onversations regarding repairing ECMs which appears to be somewhat of a cr@p shoot but nothing about the Advanced Display.

Last edited:
Has anyone found a place to repair the Advanced Display?
I took mine to a guy that works on this kind of stuff but no luck.He tried replacing several components that he tested and were not good but never got it to work. (The guy has a business repair for boards and other components and he is good at it).has a lot of good reviews and since for me was not a successful repair he didn't charge me a penny.