• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 257B undercarriage

Tracklayer

I wonder what is wrong with the frame design that would cause the break. With the computer stress analysis that Cat would do on that design, they should have been able to overcome the breakage problem before they released the product. It would be interesting to learn the purpose of the riveted and welded-on plate right near the break. Why rivet it and weld it? Why not one or the other?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Yeah, the guy with 2 or 3 machines doesn't seem to attract too much goodwill.

True, but if said guy goes into his dealer armed with the service publication number of a support program it's often enough to get the dealer's attention. The problem is that most customers have no idea of the support that's available. To be honest even those of us "in the know" on HEF weren't aware of it until someone spilled the beans. That's why HEF is becoming such a good resource with contributors all over the world.

IMHO a customer is a customer whether he runs a skid steer or a D11, and unless he is given what he feels is fair treatment he will probably change brands for his next purchase. That's why we always opined that the Sales Dept always sold the first machine to a customer, the Service Dept performance sold every one after that.

big ben

I wouldn't get your hopes up. The program for the frame replacement ended in Feb 2008.

Not to mention the fact that he bought it used with a broken frame is another strike against him getting much support. Cat is usually more likely to do some goodwill if you bought the machine new. Also with good will the dealer is expected to help cover some of the cost (usually some labor)

So a letter that expired 8 years ago, not original owner and local dealer may not have even sold the machine (so they may not want to help much, as goodwill would cost them some money now when another dealer made the profit of the sale)- can't hurt to ask but I'm with Cmark on this one...

Last edited:

DIYDAVE

I was quoted about $4900 from caterpillar to replace the part. I then found someone to weld it for me instead. It was plated on 3 sides and welded and so far seems to be holding fine. I sent a picture of the crack to the company that sold it to me and they are reimbursing me $3700 for the crack, or so they say. Still no check, but I was surprised they would even consider paying for the repair. I'll use it until it cracks again and then replace the part in time. For now seems like the weld is holding! Thanks everyone for your help

Point is kinda moot, now...:D:D