• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 257b front outside wheel axle worn

Paul Steichen

Occupation
Transportation
I noticed that the outer front wheel dust cap was missing and upon inspection the bearings are shot too. Not only that but the inner race of the outer bearing spins freely on the axel shaft, and the seal portion of the axel shaft is badly worn too. I can order a new wheel and bearings, etc, but how can this axle be repaired?

Can the axle be pressed out and replaced? Could the axel shaft be cut off and a new one fabed and welded on? I can't imagine that the only solution is to replace the whole assembly...

Any advice appreciated.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Can the axle be pressed out and replaced? Could the axel shaft be cut off and a new one fabed and welded on? I can't imagine that the only solution is to replace the whole assembly...
"No serviceable parts" listed for the front axle assembly (illustration below). If you decide to do it any other way hopefully someone has been there before you.

upload_2023-2-9_2-54-57.png

Paul Steichen

Occupation
Transportation
"No serviceable parts" listed for the front axle assembly (illustration below). If you decide to do it any other way hopefully someone has been there before you.

View attachment 279657
Thanks for your quick reply. But that's not the axle I'm worried about. The one I'm having trouble with is the outer front wheel. I don't know whether to call it a bogie or idler, but the front wheel in the track.

Paul Steichen

Occupation
Transportation
Great diagram Nige! It's part number 8. The foeward most one. Any idea how that comes out? Oh, and serial number is SLK01544. By the way, I don't suppose you could tell me how to find a service manual for this beast? Bought it used, and while I only put around 200 hrs a year on it, I really need it to last. She was expensive.

Last edited:

Paul Steichen

Occupation
Transportation
One additional question. Are the bearings supposed to slide somewhat freely on the axle shafts for ease of removal? Mine do. Is there a wear limit for the axle shaft diameter?

Nige

Regarding disassembly there I'm afraid that there is little information. From the looks of it the track would have to come off first, followed by both idler wheels. I get the impression (and I may be wrong) that the axle assembly is fixed to the track frame by a weld. Only complete disassembly of the idler wheels would confirm that. Attached is the relevant parts print. It is different to the illustration I posted above now that you supplied a Serial Number. Above is for a Series II machine, you have a Series I. Axle #14A (215-3968) appears to be the axle for the front & rear idlers, while #14B is for the four intermediate axles. The axle Part Numbers are different between the two series.

See the 2nd attachment REHS5746. This is for an upgrade of earlier machines to the later "B3" style of idler/bogie axles, wheels & hardware. Take a look at Page 7 which I think also gives a clue.

Attachments

• Track Frame.pdf
    301.8 KB · Views: 2
  • REHS5746.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Nige

I don't suppose you could tell me how to find a service manual for this beast?
I forgot to address this question earlier.
A complete service & repair manual, which will also include and Operation & Maintenenace Manual, is Cat Publication reference RENR4870. You can search the normal internet markeplaces. The cost of a new one is $1075 in paper form or $765 as pdf documents on a CD.
Here's a paper version - https://www.ebay.com/itm/373000997556
And here's a CD - https://www.ebay.com/itm/304172155042

Note that the service manual does NOT include any Parts information. The Parts Manual is SEBP3931, $156 in paper form, $110 on a CD.

farmkid16_2002

Occupation
Diesel Tech, Welder Fabricator
Old axles were welded in place. New ones and update version u cut old axles out and weld a sleeve/tube in and the axle floats side to side and rotates in the tube. Great design I know... problem is torturing the nuts as it wants to spin. Any decent welder can weld new axle in.