• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 252b3 squealing

Jimww

Just bought a 252b3 with 80hrs. It is squealing bad when driving it. Any thoughts on what it could be?

DGODGR

I bit more information would be helpful. You say it's "squealing when driving". Does the squealing seem to change with engine speed, wheel speed, or is it the same regardless of changes in either?

Jimww

The faster I go the louder it gets. Doesn't do it when sitting

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
All fluid levels (inc the chaincases) are correct I take it..?
Are you using the hydraulics when driving? If not that rules that out.
Can you get it up on blocks and run it with the wheels off the ground..? You may need an assistant to walk round the machine to identify where the noise is coming from. Try doing that with and without the engine compartment door open and see if it makes any difference.

Oxbow

Good point. One assumes that the basics have been checked but often to assume makes an ASS out of U and ME ................

The only reason that I mention the obvious is that we have a 287C that slips the belt a bit when first started. We have tightened it, but for some reason it still slips. As soon as it quits squealing, usually about 30 seconds or less, we can turn on lights and heater etc. and it never does it again that day. It has done this almost since it was new. When we get it into the shop this winter I think we will change belts and look at the alternator pulley.

On that note, has anybody had luck using belt dressing?

Jimww

I just got it home late last night when I noticed it so didnt really look at anything yet so hopefully it's something simple like that. With only 80 hrs I hope it's not anything major

Oxbow

At least it will be warrantied if it is! Good luck with it.

Oxbow

Could it be as simple as a rock caught between the hub and frame?

Jimww

Has soon as I start it whines for 5 seconds then stops until I start to drive then start whining again. Coming from under cab could it have something to do with hydraulic pumps??