• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 246 - what year for bad oil pumps

I am looking to upgrade from my Bobcat 753. I found a Cat 246 serial CAT00246P5SZ04550 for a decent price with 2k hours on it. Could someone help me understand if there was a period of years where they had the oil pump issues? I thought I had heard that the earlier 246's were OK?

Just called CAT and the unit was built on 6/28/2001. If anyone has any info on the earlier model 246's and the likelihood of having a good oil pump that would be helpful.

Tyler d4c

Is the engine painted yellow or is it black with aluminum castings
Yellows where remans. Most everyone of them had a engine put in. May I suggest finding a 246b. They had what imo is a better engine.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
My 2000 248 blew up, same machine as the 246 with High Flow. Original engine was Cat yellow, the replacement is black. I was never able to determine if they came up with an updated version that took care of the oil pump issue, my oil pump housing broke open.

Tyler d4c

My 2000 248 blew up, same machine as the 246 with High Flow. Original engine was Cat yellow, the replacement is black. I was never able to determine if they came up with an updated version that took care of the oil pump issue, my oil pump housing broke open.
246 I had had a yellow engine and someone wrote in the engine compartment engine replaced at 79 hours perhaps my idea isn't a accurate way to tell

Tyler d4c

If your only putting on 50 or 100 hours a year and you keep up on your oil changes (not really sure if it matters in this case can't hurt tho) you'll be just fine. The absolute worst think that could happen is the engine blows up but that could happen with any engine on the face of the earth

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
If your only putting on 50 or 100 hours a year and you keep up on your oil changes (not really sure if it matters in this case can't hurt tho) you'll be just fine. The absolute worst think that could happen is the engine blows up but that could happen with any engine on the face of the earth
It can happen to any machine, but it happens a lot more with these machines, than any SSL I can think of. Those engines are expensive, and cost way more than the value of the machine. The fact that it doesn't get many hours makes it even worse in my mind. If the engine lets go, your just going to have to eat the cost or junk it. Its not like it makes any real money like it would if you were using it commercially. I would rather spend more money on something else up front that doesn't have the history these engines did, then roll the dice and lose. The money spent on putting it back together could have been spent on a much better machine initially.

Tyler d4c

It can happen to any machine, but it happens a lot more with these machines, than any SSL I can think of. Those engines are expensive, and cost way more than the value of the machine. The fact that it doesn't get many hours makes it even worse in my mind. If the engine lets go, your just going to have to eat the cost or junk it. Its not like it makes any real money like it would if you were using it commercially. I would rather spend more money on something else up front that doesn't have the history these engines did, then roll the dice and lose. The money spent on putting it back together could have been spent on a much better machine initially.
Yes I agree but for personal use I wouldn't be afraid of it