• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 246 blown motor

mikeam1

I need to move my 246 cat with a seized motor. Is their any way to make the machine free wheel besides removing the chains or the drive motors? I don't have a service/repair manual so I do not know what recommends. Thanks in advance, Mike

durallymax

Generally I use a larger machine to "transport" them but if you do not have a way to do that then unhooking the chains is the only way I know of. You can get away winching them onto a truck or trailer but do not tow them any distance or the hydros will be ruined.

IMAG0357.jpg

20121121_075756.jpg

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
They won't even roll without skidding the tires they have a good parking brake system that is spring applied pressure released I believe, I can't see it doing any damage to the hydro's

There might be a way to run a smaller gas powered hydraulic unit to back feed through a pressure port or something but I've never heard of it being done

powerjoke

Occupation
How cold is it there? Turn the garden hose on your truck bed for a few hours put a layer of ice on it to help it slide off when you get there lol

durallymax

Good point on the parking brake I forgot about that.

As long as the tires do not turn it will not hurt the hydros.

I like the ice idea but if that is not that would only work well with a tipper trailer which would be the easiest to use in this case. If you have regular ramps back up tight to the Skid steer, the jack one side up and put a long 2013 under the tires and on the ramps. Do the same for the other side. Then start winching. You can either let it slide along the boards onto the trailer or you could nail some blocks on the boards by the tires to turn them into a skid for sliding it in and off.

powerjoke

Occupation
We keep 5' long 2x6" with 4x4's screwed to them on the rollback you would be surprised how often they get used but my rollback has an aluminum bed if it weren't for that I wouldn't be too worried. Garden sprinkler on a cold steel deck would help you out quite a bit not quite sure why catmech gave a ":rolleyes: " on the comment but 'eh whatever